Why do sufferers always think we are stealing from them

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
Changing the subject slightly, my Mum never accused us of stealing but got really angry with us when we did not recognise the people she thought she recognised of TV. For example Lorraine Kelly GMTV used to work in our local Fish and Chip Shop!!! - Ken Barlow Coronation Street was a Bus Conductor!!! - the list was endless. At first we used to argue with Mum, but we learned, as you do, that it was just best to agree with her, as there was no harm done and yes, we did laugh.
I miss her!.
Take Care,
Carol

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Margarita said:
Really, just when while I was working last November l, I found that all credit cards did not need pins, while debit cards did.

As I thought that…………… I thought it would have been a good idea for sue father to use, then having to get chip pin, informing bank that he does not want pin if he got a debit card .

Retailers use the same machines for credit AND debit cards, so they all need PINS. Unless you have a chip and signature card of course. I am not sure whether chip and signature cards are available on both credit and debit cards.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if Maggie has come across cards like mine: non-uk issued credit cards. These don't have chips or necessarily pins. However, I couldn't use my non-uk debit card at a point of sale, because it does need a pin, but the UK machines don't have the ability to deal with a non-chip card that needs a pin. I can use that in an ATM but that's it. I suspect that every non-uk debit card is the same, hence anyone working in a store would never come across a non-uk debit card, only a non-uk credit card. Does that make sense?

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
jenniferpa said:
I'm wondering if Maggie has come across cards like mine: non-uk issued credit cards. These don't have chips or necessarily pins. However, I couldn't use my non-uk debit card at a point of sale, because it does need a pin, but the UK machines don't have the ability to deal with a non-chip card that needs a pin. I can use that in an ATM but that's it. I suspect that every non-uk debit card is the same, hence anyone working in a store would never come across a non-uk debit card, only a non-uk credit card. Does that make sense?

so do you mean that you can use your non-uk credit card in a UK store without a pin? :confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh yes! Just as well really (although my DH probably wouldn't agree) :D The one downside is that, for the most part, those hand-held readers they use now in restaurants can't deal with this type of card, which means it gets carried off to the nether regions. I think that's how I ended up with someone trying to charge $371 worth of easyjet flights last time I was over!

Netty

Feb 24, 2007
South Wales
Sorry folks, but I'm another sitting here laughing!

I could have written this thread myself! So glad I have found this forum!
I thought I was the only one who tried unsuccessfully to "shussh" my mother up when she came out with her not so polite remarks about peoples size, looks, colour etc.

During our last visit to the Cons, she said VERY loudly: "When I look as bad as THEM, you can tell me there is something wrong with me" about a lady and her daughter sitting about 6 feet away from us. I only hope that the daughter understood what was going on, as I presume she was there for the same reason as us.

As for the stealing. We had a particularly nasty incident recently when she thought some delivery men had stolen some scissors from her. By the end of the week it had progressed to money, a jewelery box, some ornaments and the one chap sitting talking to her to distract her while the other had gone through her stuff. We were pretty certain that this had not happened, but things got pretty hairy when she reported the men to the catalogue firm and they telephoned me to find out what had gone on. She was so convincing that even I was beginning to think someone had actually gone there and done this.

Around the same time, she needed to give a "water sample" (sorry if this is tmi!). I had left a sample bottle in the bathroom for her & said I'd go back the following morning to pick it up and take it to the doctors. Anyway, had to drop everything that morning to take the dog to the vets and dashed off to college after it, as I didn't have time to stop I asked my sister to pop down and sort it out. In the middle of my lecture, my sister rings. My mother was up in arms as she had got up to do the sample and the bottle wasn't there & I had taken it. As if I'd sneak into the house, take the (empty) bottle and sneak out again without even saying Hello to her! The bottle turned up in the living room. Now who put it there I wonder?!

On a different theme, do any of you have problems with them hoarding stuff? My Mum bless her is hanging onto every "treasure" (bit of tat more like) as if her life depended on it. Its as if she has reverted back to when she was little and had to make the most of everything they had, as they had so little. We are ploughing ahead with getting her to move up with us within the next few weeks, but to try and get through to her that we just don't have the room for all that stuff (20+ year old tins of paint, old broken flasks etc etc etc) is impossible! Short of just bunging things out regardless, anyone got any tips?

Annette

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Stealing things.....

I've been accused of stealing things for a good year ++ now.
There have been times when I have laughed and cried over this.

The stealing accusations have developed into aggression, so now things have been A LOT more difficult.

Crazy :rolleyes: things I have been accused of stealing...

The 4th draw from a fitted wardrobe - he knows what was in that draw too !
The 2nd pocket from his shirts !
The bottom 5 or so inches from the tail of his shirts - as before they came down to his knees!
Teaspoons :confused: ? why....

Annette,
My husband, when a lot more mobile was hoarding tissues and toilet rolls.
Reams of the them stuffed in pockets, side of couch etc....
Not quite as bad now less mobile....
Oh, and NEWSPAPERS !!

He also has the LOUD (what are you ssshhhuuuusshhing me for?) voice.
And comments on other peoples appearance like no other.
People on TV, in the street, out-patients, anywhere inappropriate.
He also thinks I'm AT LEAST 2 stone overweight.
I'm a size 8.

MONEY is a real problem ... in that he believes I've been stealing from him for a long time.
He is always saying that he is going to report me to the authorities and or the Police.

It really HURTS me, as it is the EXACT opposite of what I am.

He believes I have spent all this money on make-up, high fashion, handbags and shoes !!
HE KNOWS THIS FOR A FACT.
If any of you could see me... you would laugh.

A New Thing...
He is CONVINCED that I have inherited a HUGE sum of money from an uncle in New York. ... (No money or uncle in NY).......

'WE' have now bought an apartment in NY, and flew there on our 'private jet' to view this !!
The story gets bigger each day... and changes depending on who he is telling the tale to.
We are getting the bathroom adapted by Peter the plumber......

He has even given the address of this NON apartment to his brother, so he can stay with us if he so wishes.

The incredible detail he has ia AMAZING.
But also very very sad, as it is all 'made up'.

Not only that, he thinks that thereis enough money left over to buy an apartment in Dubai.
You know, that fancy Island that all the FOOTBALLERS have bought a home on.

I wish I could reason with him, but this WENT long ago.

The stealing thing upsets me a lot, and i would love to know how not to let it bother me as much.

Take Care.

DaisyG

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Whether it`s stealing or throwing away precious possessions, these accusations are very difficult for me to cope with.

I haven`t yet been accused of stealing, but whenever he can`t find something, whereas once he would ask me to help him look for it, he now says `I can`t believe you`ve thrown [such and such] away. How could you.`

SHOCK! HORROR!

And if I can`t find it? Well I`ll leave that to your imagination.

So far I`ve managed to find all the things I`ve `thrown away`, but I`m not looking forwards to the time I don`t.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm afraid I've just 'lost' John's deodorant!

It's a rub-on one that his son bought him, supposed to be good for his brain!!!!:eek:

It was bad enough that he started rubbing it into his face, but when he started using it on his hair, it just had to 'disappear'.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Do they still make eau de Cologne sticks? They would be good for his brain. Good idea Hazel, If they are still made, I`ll get one for Dhiren.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well he insists on having a tin of sardines every day for his brain, so I`m sure with Cologne, the smell will be better.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Next door's auntie used to burn her pension or tear it up and throw the bits down the loo, then accuse the children of stealing it.

clymout

Jan 10, 2007
Devon
Alfjess,

Oh how I can identify with the biscuit story. Mum is affectionately known as the chocolate monster in our house and all the kids goodies have to be hidden in a different cupboard every week. I find half eaten chocolate bars and biscuits in all kinds of wierd and wonderful places. Today I came home to find she had been sharing chocolate chip cookies with the cats and their water bowl was full of crumbled up soggy cookies! Of course, she knew nothing about it - it must have been Father Christmas!

Jo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jorbla