Why do some care homes destroy people’s dignity

Harli

Jun 5, 2017
So we have been told Dad is incontinent. He’s not, he knows when he wants the toilet, he just forgets where it is and there is never anyone to take him. Why destroy people’s dignity more than it already has been. Does this happen in all care homes. Should we be asking about this when looking at new places for him?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
So we have been told Dad is incontinent. He’s not, he knows when he wants the toilet, he just forgets where it is and there is never anyone to take him. Why destroy people’s dignity more than it already has been. Does this happen in all care homes. Should we be asking about this when looking at new places for him?
This certainly does not happen in my husband's nursing home, not at all. Yes, of course ask about this and I am so sorry you have found this. Warmest, Kindred.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
In my dad’s care home he was regularly taken to the toilet so although he wore pull-ups just in case he normally stayed dry during the day.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Unfortunately, forgetting where the toilet is, is part of the dementia. I suspect that like here, there are probably one staff member to 8 - 10 residents so it can be difficult to get to someone.

My mother's nursing home toiletted everyone regularly but with 30 on her unit and 4 staff, there would be accidents.

I would ask about their toiletting schedule. I would also consider pull-ups as @Bunpoots had done with her father.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum became incontinent and in the period where she was becoming incontinent she could often tell you that she needed to go, but there wasnt enough time to get her there - sometimes only a few seconds..
The carers tried taking her regularly to the loo, which also helped, but in the end she didnt know what she was supposed to be doing.

If you are not happy with his care and are looking for somewhere else, yes, do ask about how they would manage this.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It shouldn't happen. In my mother's care home, when they become aware of continence issues the carers will take the resident to the toilet on a rota - I think my mother is taken every 2 hours a the moment. It helps keep them continent considerably longer, although as Canary says there will come a point when the person doesn't know what they are supposed to do. The only time my mother wears a pad is at night, in case she doesn't get to the toilet in time.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Not just care homes,sometimes attitude of professionals,!
whilst in hospital OH was accompanied to toilet at all times, had an alarm fitted to bed so they made sure he wouldn’t attempt to walk there alone. When due for discharge I asked the O/ts, Physio, nursing staff and doctors about night time safety for him.The answer was always the same, put him in pads!!!!
I stated I thought it was degrading and encouraging incontinence! Each and every professional said the same, “it will come to that anyway! “
No encouragement to establish or maintain a ‘toilet routine’ which apart from two accidents in getting to the bathroom in time , we have managed to accomplish!
Even our own GP (when he did a home visit re: possible leg ulcer) assumed OH was incontient and seemed somewhat surprised he was not!
I do expect the situation will eventually deteriorate!

Harli

Jun 5, 2017
In a worrying turn of events the social worker has started a safeguarding alert for the nursing home. Pending the result Dad may be moved immediately to a new care home.

Peppie

Jul 9, 2017
The same happened to my dad home said put pull up pants on him but he knows when he needs to go it's so frustrating he also just forgets where the toilet is so then has accidents then staff want him in pads it's a vicious circle.