Why do so many incontinence pads leak?!

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Marnie63, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    I've never had problems with Incontinence Choice, who were recommended to me by someone else on TP. Even their standard delivery, which is supposed to arrived within a few days, sometimes arrives very quickly. They are very good and seem to have everything I will ever need for this scenario. I wish they would have a lower spend threshold for free delivery (it's £75 I think), but apart from that, I would recommend. The delivery people are always OK here. As I've said before, I will never buy anything from Age UK again, nor donate a penny to them, because of how horrid that woman on their helpline was to me when I was desperate for help.

The flooding has eased here, I think maybe the way mum's body reacted to the heat had something to do with it (a bit of urine retention, perhaps?), but also I was obviously giving her a lot of fluid due to the heat. I cut down a little on the fluid intake yesterday and there hasn't been the flooding we had before. Mum is standing again on the rotunda, so I'm able to get her out of bed more, and therefore onto the commode more. As long as she can stand for a while and as long as my back is OK, this makes live a little cheerier, for now anyway. Now trying to plan the day out so that I can watch the football tonight. Another strange effect this situation has had on me - I've suddenly become interested in football!

Let me know how that washable nappy works for you.

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Most of my girlfriends have become fascinated with the football!! I don't get it, they are older, Wimbledon types, maybe even croquet, but they are all glued to their tv's watching the football!

I use Incontinence Choice and Complete Care online too. Ageuk delivery company has just made too many mistakes especially with the larger orders. I once found a huge box outside my neighbours gate and I knew it was mine so had to get my porters trolley out to bring it into my home. Delivered over my garden gate has happened before, but it was obvious that yesterday's small delivery was just thrown over the gate.

Have now washed the new nappy type and just waiting to see how long it takes to dry. It can go in tumble dryer, but just putting one item in there does not feel right.

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Nappy on last night, sorry for calling it a nappy, but that is what it is. Put it on top of pads and fixation pants and no obvious leaks this morning. Once on, it was quite snug around her. The Velcro fastening was a bit fidgety to get in right place, but with practice will get better at this. It is also a bit of a bother when in washing machine with other things, as you can imagine everything sticks to it! So it may be that these will have to be washed alone, don't fancy hand washing as they are bulky and I would find it difficult to wring out, but suppose I could put in washing machine for a short spin. Going to give a weeks trail before I buy anymore. The design is good with more material at the back, where needed. a little gap at front of legs. Think they will be successful, especially if I can put less pads in, like the boosters, but it is getting this bit right, if I put less in then surely the nappy will get very wet and then transfer to bedding? trail and error. Less pads tonight - lets see..

4. Ann0242

Ann0242 Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    My oh has Alz/Vas..he has slipped down quite a bit since a chest infection a month ago, and although not incontinent he’s has had 2 urine accidents last week, and one explosion of the other sort last night as he said he thought he just had wind but no he couldn’t get to the bathroom quick enough...I’m hoping it may be the CAlceos he’s been taking for the last week ((and not the beginning of incontinence)) perhaps I should be more prepared as I wasn’t last Night arghh......where do I start what do I buy re bedding etc.
    Sorry to hijack this thread ...A x

5. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    No hijack, I think Marnie started it so we could give each other advice. Start by looking / buying a mattress protector, not a plastic/rubber [although a large rubber one would work if it fitted all round and under the mattress, but the plastic ones make too much noise and rip easily, learnt this to my cost when making mums bed, my nails went right through it and in the end it was being held together with duct tape! Also take a look at waterproof duvets, another lesson learnt - ordinary duvet too big for washing machine! Might be a good idea to buy some pads for inside underwear, if he lets you change these then it will save on changing clothes after little accidents. When you think incontinence is with you then talk to gp who will then refer you to your local continence service.

6. Ann0242

Ann0242 Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    Thank you Tin, I have looked at mattress covers briefly and I was thinking maybe one that would go completely over the mattress and zipping up if there is such a thing. I will get some pads for emergency use ...any recommendations gratefully received.
    Thanks for your speedy reply A x

7. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    I'm glad something is working Tin. I will resist ordering one of those until I feel it's absolutely necessary as I have the added challenge of putting it on in bed, so more rolling around for mum, potentially.

The leaking has eased here, I think there was more fluid going in because of the heat, and I know the carer was encouraging mum to drink more water, which is good, but it was all adding to the output! A No 10 Abri-San pad with a booster worked OK last night, just held it all. The booster pads I have are not the most absorbent you can get so will order those ones next time. Again, I wish they did ones that were even more absorbent as I'm sure they would help in extreme cases. I didn't call the continence clinic in the end, but may do so in the coming days, just to see what they advise. I haven't really pressed them that hard on the issue, but also plan to discuss with the GP when I next see him.

Do you ever use more than one booster pad at a time Tin? I'm sure I read on one of the on line shop sites that you can layer the booster pads for more absorbency.

How about washing the nappy in one of those laundry nets that you wash delicates in? That would protect other clothes from it. Presumably you are closing the Velcro fasteners before you put in the machine?!

8. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Yes I am closing Velcro ends before putting in the machine, but somehow other articles are drawn to the Velcro bit, will make sure absolutely covered on next wash and next time I am out shopping, will buy one of those laundry bags.

At the moment I am having massive problems to get mum to drink anything except tiny, tiny sips from each drink I give her, so have resorted to giving her jellies all the time, but even these after the 4th one, just gets left.. Buy lots of melons, this is the only fruit she will now eat. Its really hard, because I am getting a bit fed up with professionals telling me that she is a little dehydrated and I must get her to drink more, how!!! and actually getting a bit fed up with mum's refusal to drink, even though she keeps asking me for "a nice cup of tea" and I sit with her encouraging all the time, tried straws and she just removes these, tried non spill cup-she broke the lid. So far 10 cups of tea poured down the sink.

I do put more than one booster pad in, 2 sometimes 3. like you though I think she may not be peeing as much at night because of not taking enough liquids during the day.

9. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Hi Tin my mum can only manage to drink with a straw in a bottle held by me as her hands wobble to much to hold a cup,I make straws from food grade pvc tube purchased from Ebay you can get it in different widths so at least she can manage to get more water through it with a 9mm opening than you would with most drinking straws,I cut it in drinking straw lengths and it's able to curve,I clean it with a skinny bottle cleaner gadget and throw it and cut another bit off when it's looking soiled,I buy 5 metres at a time.
    I'm at home with her all of the time so at least I can do this through the day but it's the best I can do and I worry about the time when she finds difficulty with this,I manage to get 1000ml ish down her like this and I'm sure the health workers would say she should have more,but in reality do people manage much more than this when they can't drink themselves.
    She has 200ml in her porridge each morning and grapes that go towards her liquid totals too,I shall get her water melons that's a good tip

10. Marnie63

Marnie63 Registered User

Dec 26, 2015
    Hampshire
    Thought I'd cracked it last night - stayed up late to watch a film and changed mum at about a quarter to midnight. All good - pad wet, dry one on. This morning carer due at 0930, but arrived a bit earlier. We managed to transfer mum to the commode - nightie, inco sheet and sheets all wet! I didn't put a booster pad into the pad itself, so that will teach me. From now on I think it has to be the mega pads with one, or even two booster pads. That will give the pad a 6 litre capacity, but I bet I'll still have leaks!

How are you getting on with that nappy @Tin ?

11. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Not a success here too last night, but it was down to me. I put mum to bed early, because she was stressing me out. Went to bed without having a pee and got up late this morning, so of course soaking wet, especially around waist band and up her back. I too only put one booster pad in. The nappy is working, Saturday morning everything was contend, so next month when I have a little more money in the bank, I will get 2 more. Been a really expensive month here.