Why cant she drink?

perfectpatience

Oct 3, 2006
Essex
Hi. I have posted a few times...my mum is pretty poorly (been in hospital since Tues) as she 'asperated' in the care home last week. Quite honestly I didnt think she would've still been here...and you can all imagine the week Ive had. Last night I noticed they have taken down the 'drip' and she is being fed orally. It is a soft diet...but I noticed when I tried to get her to sip a drink...she gets that noise (of lots of saliva) still stuck in her throat. Does anyone else know why this is happening? I will be seeing a doctor tomorrow...but I would be grateful if anyone could advise me? She is so frail....but still hanging on.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
So sorry to hear that mum isn't doing well.

I think it's best to hang on to speak to her doctor, and the nurses who are looking after mum to find out about what's doing with her feeding, and the reason for taking down her drip.

Thinking of you

Cate

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi perfectpatience

sorry to hear about your mum, did you not ask the nurses why they had taken the drip out? I can only go on my experience but they took the drip down from muy mum because she was getting a build up of fluied in her lungs, i am surprised but then again im not that no one explaind anything to you, it seams you have to ask the hospital staff what is happening but they should of explained it to you. Have a word with them and find out all you need to know.

kathy

perfectpatience

Oct 3, 2006
Essex
Thanks. I will try and find out tomorrow....weekends are impossible at the hospital as you will all know. Some of the posts Ive read do have similar situations to my mum but what baffles me is the other day I was informed by the doctor that they were expecting the worst....now the drip and oxygen have all been removed...its like they are trying to kill her....sorry but Iam all over the place at the moment. Will keep you all posted. xx PP xx

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi perfectpatience

so sorry for how you are feeling only advice i can give is have a word with the doctor i would be feeling the same if that was me take care.
kathyxx

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
Hi Perfectpatience,

Swallowing liquids is more difficult than swallowing solids or semi-solids, i.e. soft diet or liquified food. Best person to advice you is a speech and language therapist, who is an expert in swallowing difficulties. It may be that drinks need to be thickened slightly. (The SLT will be able to advise how best to do this.)

Bets

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi perfectpatience,

Bets is right, the best person to consult is a Speech and Language Therapist.

Unfortunately, swallowing difficulties can be part of the later stages of dementia.

There is a useful web page on this written by a Speech and Language Therapist:

http://dementia.ion.ucl.ac.uk/DRG_Website/Candid/Candid_factsheets/facts6new.htm

The danger of aspirating food/beverages into the lungs is that these things make it easier for for bacteria to grow and conditions like pneumonia to arise. Your mother's medical team should keep a close eye on her in case she starts to show signs of a respiratory infection.

Take care,

Sandy