wht to do next

steviel

Sep 17, 2007
Hi all
Not asked for advice for a while so wondered if you can help?
My father with Alzheimers is getting worse and he came to me today with a letter saying that his driving licence was being Revocated! He was in a state!
I wrote to the DVLA last May and have heard nothing since!
I go back to his house to find his driving licence to see if it has expired only to find several letters that he has not shown me since Jan from the DVLA suggesting a medical with a local DR to see if he is fit to drive but as he has ignored them he is now having his licence Revocated. So now it is too late to see the Dr and we have to reapply for a new licence and an assesment with a Dr!
I am so unsure of what to do I feel although his driving has not got any worse he is getting more confused. We saw his consultant in Dec, lower score but the same to me!
Has anyone got any ideas as to how I should proceed forward and what do I do? Do I contact the consultant to see him again, social services?
Any advice would be a godsend.
Stevie

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Do you really think it's a good idea to get your dad driving again? The fact that he ignored the several letters from the DVLA indicates to me that he is not necessarily thinking logically about this. So many people have had problems trying to get their loved ones with AD to stop driving and you may have a solution if your father takes the DVLA authority seriously.

Please give it a long & hard think about your dad getting his licence back.

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
I agree with Joanne it could be a good time for him to stop driving, he has been upset about the letter and getting him to have a medical etc could build his hopes up to be upset again.
I would think long and hard before deciding, another thought could you ring the doc of record and ask his advice.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Stevie, I'd agree with the others. I'd reckon that since your dad is deteriorating, it may be time for him to give up driving. If not, it soon will be.

Your dad is in a state, but he's going to be in a state whenever he loses his licence, and even if he gets it back this time, he's going to have to go through this again every year.