Who's the one with dementia?

AJay

Aug 21, 2007
Leics
Just thought I'd share this, it made me really laugh after a couple of weeks of stress.

Rang Dad now that he's on a new medication regime to check that he's taken his morning tablets.

He assured me he had and that Mom was telling him off about it (Mom died 10 years ago). Oh dear thinks I, but asked what else she was saying. There was a few seconds of silence over the phone. 'Your Mom died 10 years ago Deborah he said, surely you know that. And you think I'm the one who's losing it!' I'm quite looking forward to going over to see him in a bit, he seems to have got his sense of humour back big time.

Actually I did wonder about myself the other morning when I caught myself carefully putting my freshly made morning cuppa into the carrier bag I take to work.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Actually I did wonder about myself
I think we all do, after seeing someone with dementia.

The thing to remember is that it is natural to forget things as we can't remember everything. Re-visiting things helps refresh memory.

With dementia, the ability to refresh goes, along with the parts of the brain that refresh and store information.

It is the same with behaviours - dementia simply magnifies hugely what are normal human behaviours and takes them out of context.

All just my views, of course.

117katie

Well, I really enjoyed that one! All I can ask is: what's the new medication your Dad's on - because it seems to be working!!

Nice one - and thanks for the laugh! Hope your Dad continues to keep you smiling too.

Katie

clarethebear

Oct 16, 2007
manchester, uk
Hi AJay

Thank you so much for your post. I myself have been having a hard time of things at the moment. But boy how I laughed at your post.

I'm so glad you dad is getting his sense of humour back.

I honestly wouldn't put a cuppa in a carrier bag though lol.

Take Care
Clare:)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Ajay,

How funny! I hope that your dad keeps on with his sense of humour.

I often doubt my own sanity. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Regards Taffy.

xx.lauren.xx

Sep 22, 2007
england
we know the feeling!!! me and my mum said this once before when speaking to the social worker " a very kind lady called micrid had agreed to astrowave some dinner " what we ment was " a very kind lady called astrid has agreed to micowave some dinner" all we could do was laugh but i think the social worker was thinking it was us with the memory problem!!
xxxxxx