Who will pay for my Care?

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
I've not spoken in TP about this till now because it has consumed so much of my time and even now is not fully complete but let me tell you a story of financing care that leaves you and your loved ones ready to scream in despair at the folly of care in this country!
Long, long ago down in SE London town, a young man had viral related Dementia that left him in need of full time care. The nice Mr Social Services (SS) said we'll pay but you must give us some money but not much! Then as time went by the SS said why not get Mr Independent Living Fund (ILF) to pay for all this care. And so it twas that Mr ILF came with lots'a money and paid for 3 whole years. Then one day Mr ILf said, oh we won't pay anymore and we want £10,000 back! Mr SS said that if Mr ILF wont pay then we won't either! And by the way we've overpaid you also and we want £5,000 back. The young man and his Partner were sorely disappointed for they had trusted Mr ILF and Mr SS and had they known they would have never allowed themselves to get into this mess!
Mr ILF aka Department of Work & Pensions, was intransigent and so the young man wrote to the Minister. Meanwhile Mr SS got into a bit of a panic and suggested that Mr Continuing Care (CC) might like to pay, but told the young man, that Mr CC was a real old miser who never paid for anyone, who Mr SS recommended but they may as well try! He said that they always argued with each other, one shouting social care and the other health care!
Then one day after 4 months of the poor young man paying for allhis own care, Mr CC and Mr SS agreed to share the cost and pay for the young man's care in full.
There was jubilation and celbration that they had at last agreed to pay, and now there was only the nasty evil dragon called Mr ILF and his host of Dark Angels at the DWP office to deal with!!

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Nice to hear that you have got half way with your concern.

I had something similar that took 18 months. I almost took up residents in my MP’s office as I believed (rightly) that he could attack from the top whilst I laboured on at the bottom.

Best of luck getting it all sorted out.

Clive

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read of your frustration with the Government system in who pays for the care of someone with a dementia .

how is the young man now with his dementia, is his in a nursing care home now receiving CC or is he still in his own home receiving CC ?

robertjohnmills

Nov 16, 2008
Bexley in Kent nr London
A warning if agreeing to ILF

Hi
The Independent Living Fund is a quango of the DWP and as about as useful and intelligent! Having taken the so called overpayment to our MP and then to the Parliamentary Ombudsman, we have failed to get them to accept our exceptional circumstances. Consequently they still demand a whole years money back. I am so cross as it was Social Services who insisted they share the cost in the first place.
So I just want to take this opportunity to warn anyone else thinking of agreeing to them funding care; think twice, because once you've spent the money on your loved one's care it may come back to bite you in the rear!
Robert
:(