Who should shield?

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
My mother is bedbound at home with dementia as she can't walk and has frailty,I'm wondering if anyone else who has a person like this at home has been told to shield them?We didn't get a letter delivered to our home and I just assumed dementia wasn't seen to be a greater risk.
I just wanted to hear anyones thoughts on the situation to see if they have loved ones that are supposed to shield.I'm going to ring mums doctor tomorrow I think, to see what he suggests as my son has started to stay with us part time again but he has a 7 year old sister that lives with him at his mums house and she goes to school, and I can see that being a route of transmission.

Last edited:

Buzzybee77

Nov 27, 2018
I care for my Dad who is mid 80's with Parkinsons Dementia, with a pacemaker and high blood pressure. Phoned his GP and they said he was not on the list for shielding, nevertheless I have been shielding him since March.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Criteria for shielding are listed on

Shielding, which is only guidance, is currently paused.
There are proposals to increase the list introducing personalised levels of guidance.
Shielding may also be unpaused in some of the highest risk areas in the proposed scheme to be voted on tomorrow.

Last edited:

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I care for my Dad who is mid 80's with Parkinsons Dementia, with a pacemaker and high blood pressure. Phoned his GP and they said he was not on the list for shielding, nevertheless I have been shielding him since March.
Thanks,

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Criteria for shielding is listed on

Shielding, which is only guidance, is currently paused.
There are proposals to increase the list introducing personalised levels of guidance.
Shielding may also be unpaused in some of the highest risk areas in the proposed scheme to be voted on tomorrow.
Thanks,I shall have a read of that

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
A couple people I know through work were shielding originally, one of them was advised by her consultant to resume shielding a few weeks ago - which mean the whole household are now at home (her mum was coming into the office but can work from home).

Another one hasn't been advised to resume shielding, she is at nursery school, and her hospital team are in regular touch with the family. I think in the second one's case the effects of covid are much less than originally anticipated on her illness (CF)

Whereas the first I mentioned has a genetic autoimmune disease - which was not known and a flare up took her from an active teenager to wheelchair bound.

Both are in Liverpool - so high rates of infection.

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
A couple people I know through work were shielding originally, one of them was advised by her consultant to resume shielding a few weeks ago - which mean the whole household are now at home (her mum was coming into the office but can work from home).

Another one hasn't been advised to resume shielding, she is at nursery school, and her hospital team are in regular touch with the family. I think in the second one's case the effects of covid are much less than originally anticipated on her illness (CF)

Whereas the first I mentioned has a genetic autoimmune disease - which was not known and a flare up took her from an active teenager to wheelchair bound.

Both are in Liverpool - so high rates of infection.
Thanks,I was hoping that in my local area that homes would be banned from meeting each other so it would be a law that we had to follow so it wouldn't fall on my shoulders to tell my son that he couldn't come to visit us.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband sheilded from march to august when it was paused. he had a letter and text as he has copd chronic obstructive pulmonary disease which if he got covid, he would be unlikely to survive. already had his flu jab that and pnemonia jab which he has also had could prove too much for him.we are in medium area but do have 2 universities. hes wondering how long he will be able to go out. he has vascular dementia as well.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Just heard on BBC that those who were shielding will get a letter giving them advice but the govt aren’t planning on telling people to shield again at the moment

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
ok thanks for that we havent the numbers and are medium risk but getting scared. was shielding from march to august and had letters for that time.

ARP

Oct 10, 2020
I don’t know about what’s on tv but I’ve been told you are vulnerable if you recieved a flu jab and that’s what I’ve always gone by and if you think your mum should shield I would just do it as you know her best x I hope you get sorted
Much love

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
I don’t know about what’s on tv but I’ve been told you are vulnerable if you recieved a flu jab and that’s what I’ve always gone by and if you think your mum should shield I would just do it as you know her best x I hope you get sorted
Much love
Hi thanks,I think we will have a few weeks lock down very soon as I was watching the news today and labour are calling for one,I think I'm going to take that opportunity to not have my son back for a good few months after that.My mum gets poorly if she gets anything on her chest as things are, even without covid and she's unable to have a good proper cough,I don't think she would get through this.Although things are difficult and dementia is a sad thing,I love to look at my mum with her nice smile in her bed,looking happy with her rosie cheeks,and I don't want to see her suffer terribly due to something I can perhaps help her to avoid.I just feel that letting my son visit is going to be a big problem,I have type 2 diabetes as well so I have my own fears about myself.

ARP

Oct 10, 2020
Hi thanks,I think we will have a few weeks lock down very soon as I was watching the news today and labour are calling for one,I think I'm going to take that opportunity to not have my son back for a good few months after that.My mum gets poorly if she gets anything on her chest as things are, even without covid and she's unable to have a good proper cough,I don't think she would get through this.Although things are difficult and dementia is a sad thing,I love to look at my mum with her nice smile in her bed,looking happy with her rosie cheeks,and I don't want to see her suffer terribly due to something I can perhaps help her to avoid.I just feel that letting my son visit is going to be a big problem,I have type 2 diabetes as well so I have my own fears about myself.
Things are difficult during a lockdown and must be really considered carefully x you are doing well to give it due consideration x you must remember to give yourself permission to consider your own health needs too because that’s important you can only do the right thing as you see it now. I’m on my own so lockdown is hard for me too. I have a mental health condition and I’m on here because I’ve scored very low in a dementia test so waiting for a ct scan but if they keep having lockdowns I’ll be waiting a long time haha xxxxx I hope all is well and that the solution to your problems come easy xxxxx

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
Things are difficult during a lockdown and must be really considered carefully x you are doing well to give it due consideration x you must remember to give yourself permission to consider your own health needs too because that’s important you can only do the right thing as you see it now. I’m on my own so lockdown is hard for me too. I have a mental health condition and I’m on here because I’ve scored very low in a dementia test so waiting for a ct scan but if they keep having lockdowns I’ll be waiting a long time haha xxxxx I hope all is well and that the solution to your problems come easy xxxxx
Thanks, all the best x