Who pays selling costs?

Wigan Lass

Jul 26, 2019
Hi
As anyone else sold a property that was a 50 50 ownership as tenants in common.
I have just sold my Mumd house as she is now in permanent residential care.
Her late partner left his share of the property in trust for his son.

Would both my Mum and the son share the cost of selling ie estate agent and solicitors fees.
Any information would be gratefully received.

Wigan Lass

Jul 26, 2019
I can’t see a reason why they should not both share the cost of the sale.
Thanks Jaymor,
Thats what I think
I have rung 3 solicitors to ask for legal advice to no avail provably due to being a low cost service.
Do not know where to go for advice.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Thanks Jaymor,
Thats what I think
I have rung 3 solicitors to ask for legal advice to no avail provably due to being a low cost service.
Do not know where to go for advice.
Is there any reason that the son will object to paying half of any fees incurred by the sale of the house? If there isn’t it’s just a straight forward equal split of the fees when they are presented.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
In theory the son pays nothing because the house isn't his. It belongs 50% to a trust so the trust should pay a half share. The trust and the son are legally separate. Of course at some point the trust will be terminated and the son will get the money.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
When we sold parents in law's house all the costs were taken out before any money was distributed. So in fact the house paid the costs not the owners of the property.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
When we sold parents in law's house all the costs were taken out before any money was distributed. So in fact the house paid the costs not the owners of the property.
That is the best way to do things. It means that @Wigan Lass and her late mother's partner's trust share the expenses equally.