Who pays for incontinence pants in care home

Lilian&Dave

Dec 4, 2012
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
My husband was sectioned in June and stayed in hospital until today when he was moved to a care home needing nursing care and I was asked who supplied his incontinence pants to which I replied the hospital did as he wasn't using them prior to going in. He is socially funded with nursing funding added and thought these would be covered by the nursing funding aspect especially as I am now living on a very reduced income.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
My Dad uses them mainly at night. I sort of assumed it was all part of the care package. Nobody has asked me to pay so far.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Nh have to provide. When MIL went into NH she used pull ups at night and we took her supply into the home - they were very grateful, but after they ran out the NH supplied with no questions.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
My OH had incontinence pants supplied free of charge which was arranged by Continence Clinic attached to our GP. When he moved to his care home about 2 months ago I gave them his documentation so that the supply could be sent direct to them. I'm not sure if the system worked as he has now run out and they are supplying him with another type from their stores. Must check if they have reordered his or whether they are expecting me to do it and we have our wires crossed. Suggest you talk to home manager and ask if he can get free pants. Perhaps through social services. They should know.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I was told by the care home that as long as OH only comes in for respite, he has to provide his own continence pants, but should he stay permanently, they would be supplied. Mind you, I am getting them through the Continence Service free of charge anyway (though will to have buy a few myself as it's not enough).

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
If your husband was sectioned, should he be funded under section 117?

To my thinking the supply of incontinence pants is down to the CH. I don't supply anything like that (my husband is on CHC funding) and neither do the residents who are self funding.

The cost of the "nettie knickers" is minimal to the care home.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I had a huge problem getting these supplied for John when he still lived at home. My Local Authority would only supply pads, even though other LAs supply both. It was only after I had a battle with them, (why is everything a battle?) saying that my husband was virtually being punished because he lived in the wrong part of the country, and because he was mobile enough, that the pads "moved", that I got them.

They offered me one a night, but I pleaded for 2, and I now get a delivery every 12 weeks. I take these up to the Care Home, as and when. I'm sure if I phoned and said he was now in permanent care, they'd stop them, and I'm fed up that the National Health Service, runs a post code lottery, regarding wee!

Lilian&Dave

Dec 4, 2012
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Thanks for all your replies. If I am asked again I will says it seems most CH's provide them without charge and also mention to our doctor and see what he has to say about it. The last 3months have been difficult enough without such a fuss over keeping my husband dry and comfortable which we all take for granted.

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
Hi Lillian and Dave, it's not the care home that supplies incontinent pads it's the nhs but it is up to the ch to organise a continence assessment, then the correct pads should be prescribed.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
If your husband was sectioned, should he be funded under section 117?

To my thinking the supply of incontinence pants is down to the CH. I don't supply anything like that (my husband is on CHC funding) and neither do the residents who are self funding.

The cost of the "nettie knickers" is minimal to the care home.

Think that would only be under a Section 3.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Think that would only be under a Section 3.

You are right Rosy. Section 2, or Section 2 followed by Dol would not start S117.

My Husband has all his incontinence needs supplied by the CH. This was the case when he was self-funding as well as now when he is on CHC.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
When my husband was temporarily in a CH he needed pads and I presumed they were supplied by the CH but when he came home the CH forwarded a letter from the NHS with a form to fill in for the repeat pad order,
He didn't need them then so I ignored it,

Granny val

May 31, 2012
During his 10 week stay in psychiatric hospital my husband was provided with a basic pad for his incontinence needs. These pads,which were the basic allocation, did not suit his incontinence needs as he constaantly pulled them off so I supplied and paid for incontinence pants myself. On being transferred to Nursing Home I continued to pay for his incontinence pants for a further two months and then, because I was helped by the nurse in charge of his dementia unit, he was eventually allocated wrap arounds by the NHS incontinence team so I no longer have to pay.