• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Who pays for hospital beds, pressure mattresses etc.. in care home?


New member
Jan 11, 2018
If your relative needs specialist equipment in a care home, such as a hospital bed, and the home doesn't have one, who will pay to hire/buy this - local authority or resident's family? (This is a permanent stay, not respite care.)
Thanks for any advice.


Volunteer Moderator
Jul 14, 2006
Everything was supplied by the nursing home my husband was in. As he progressed and became bed bound everything was put into place to make him comfortable and avoid any pressure. He had a profile bed with a ripple mattress.
Last edited:


Registered User
Aug 8, 2020
My mum was supplied with a special bed/mattress by the carehome but the week after, they put the fees up..!


Registered User
Aug 9, 2015
North West
You know this question is a rhetorical one and if your pwd needs a hospital bed and I assume a pressure relieving mattress then this is essentially about NHS funding otherwise known in the community as Continuing Health Care (CHC). There has been a dramatic decline in CHC funding being granted in the last few years, but I would hedge your bets and apply for it, because currently the whole process is under scrutiny and if your relative ticks the boxes they will grant NHS care in a care home/EMI unit. So get a CHC application in -you can always appeal as well.