Who is eligible for home help?

Cherylp

Jul 28, 2013
Hello, I am totally new to this and my mum who is 70 has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's .. So I apologise in advance if these questions have been asked lots of times already.. Currently she is at the very forgetful stage, and repeats everything lots of times and doesn't understand why she is assisted whilst shopping and cooking, the truth is we are all afraid she might get lost or hurt herself.
She has a husband, ( my step dad ) and he is really struggling to cope with her, he is diabetic himself and although sympathetic I am worrying about him too, as she is getting a bit angry with him and hates the way he fusses over her.
I live about 4 miles away but cannot be there 24:7 but I have told him he can leave her with me when ever he wants..
My question is, are they eligible for home help? And what sort of help is available?.. She is rapidly going downhill and in one year is a very different person, I am feeling guilty because I should perhaps be more helpful but I have my own family at home and suffer with Anxiety Disorders.. Can anyone advise thank you :eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Cheryl and welcome to Talking Point.

A lot is going to depend on your local authority - some offer more assistance than others in this area, so your best bet to find out what might be available is to go to your local LA website. Most LAs have some kind of means test when they provide services, so while something might be available, your mother may have to pay something for it.

However, one thing I wanted to ask - is your mother receiving attendance allowance? Because that can be used as you wish to provide this sort of thing.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Cheryl and welcome to Talking Point.

I am sorry to hear about your Mother.

I think your Mother is entitled to a Needs Assessment and your Father too as her main carer. This factsheet will explain what it involves and the sort of help they may get.

I have not heard the term Home Help for some time but it possibly depends on the LA and what support they can provide.

It may be worth you ringing the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society as they will know what local support is available. Some have Dementia Support Workers and that would be ideal especially for your step Father. You can find the local branch here. Just type in the postcode on the right hand side.

Others will be along to offer their thoughts and I hope you find the Forum helpful.
Best wishes