Who has responsibility for poor care when CHC funded? NHS or SS?

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
Hello,

Having ongoing problems with the care mum is currently receiving, this has been going on for quite some time and not improving.

have previously raised safeguarding alert couple of months back but no feedback from SS.

Now mum is CHC funded I rang CHC team to say i have concerns and all they were interested in was booking in a review and whether she still qualifies for funding.

Do NHS not have responsibility over mums care as they are paying for it or do i have to go to Social Services Safeguarding again?

Feel like no one is listening.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hmmm I have wondered about this myself. It seems to be a grey area. Hope someone with knowledge can advise

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The contract for care will be with the CGC.
There should also be an approved care plan.
If you suspect, or preferably can prove, that the plan is not being met you should inform the CGC supplying any evidence you may have.

Does anybody have H&W LPA?

Although the LA have a duty of care to vulnerable people they quite often waive this when a person is CHC funded claiming that there is no need for community care. They regard it as if the person was in a hospital.

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
Thanks nitram. I have LPA for both health & finances.

I have photo's of charts showing only one meal a day offered, no fluids offered for 3 or 4 hours. No cups of tea for weeks now. (mum is totally reliant for all care now) Plus a few other things.

No one wants to listen, it is frustrating. All the CHC team want to know is if they can take the funding off her because they only awarded it because they expected her to die within day/s weeks and we have surpassed that now.

Its a disgrace. How they could remove funding at this point is beyond me.

But it's the lack of care that needs tackling, and fast. How did i get someone to take my concerns seriously. I have other witnesses who can back me up but no one wants to do anything a about it? Where do i go? CCG? GP?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
But it's the lack of care that needs tackling, and fast. How did i get someone to take my concerns seriously. I have other witnesses who can back me up but no one wants to do anything a about it? Where do i go? CCG? GP?
I do not think it matters one bit who is funding the care whether it be the LA, CCG or a self funder.

The Care Act 2014 set out a legal framework for local authorities and other parts of the system of how they should protect adults at risk of abuse or neglect. The LA have to take the lead (except in a crime) of a local multi agency safeguarding system so I would get straight back to your local Adult Safeguarding team. Your concerns should be given a reference number and a lead SW should be appointed (in my case this took around 3 weeks :eek:). If appropriate they should be contacting the CCG, LA, NHS or Police.

If your Mum is in a care Home or Hospital then you could also try the CQC. They say they don't take individual cases but they can help get the proper process started and may also have other concerns already reported.

Now that you have an MP you could try them and even the local newspaper. The more people contacting Adult Safeguarding the better.

Good Luck. :)