Who can help with incontinence please!!

itsgoingwrong

Oct 12, 2014
Cornwall
Hi there, I am new to this talking point but now I have found it I would like some help please. I am carer and struggling with the problem of incontinence. It was just urine to start with but has now gone further. Had guests this weekend maybe this caused a bit of upset. went out for under an hour and came back to mess everywhere and I mean everywhere. So embarrassing in front of guests having to scrub, disinfect, boil wash clothes and bedding. Insist on showering twice.:eek: !

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
What methods are you using at the moment e.g. incontinence pads, kylie sheets on the beds and chairs, etc.?

If using incontinence pads are these being supplied free?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
If you haven't already done so you need to get referred to your local continence service. Contact your GP and ask for a referral. They will assess the problem and give advice. In our own area they then provide products based on their assessment. Not sure what happens elsewhere.

Last edited:

itsgoingwrong

Oct 12, 2014
Cornwall
What methods are you using at the moment e.g. incontinence pads, kylie sheets on the beds and chairs, etc.?

If using incontinence pads are these being supplied free?

This was just an issue missing the toilet and cleaning up urine all the time. Have been afraid to mention things to him due to upsetting him and getting verbal abuse. Finding it more difficult to deal with now. Thank you so much for your reply, will have to look into things you mentioned.

itsgoingwrong

Oct 12, 2014
Cornwall
If you haven't already done so you need to get referred to your local continence service. Contact your GP and ask for a referral. They will assess the problem and give advice. In our own area they then provide products based on their assessment. Not sure what happens elsewhere.

Thank you for reply. Mentioned the urine problem to G.P. before but all that happened was a urine test. I will have to go back I know but will find this difficult to get him to go to an appointment. Again many thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chazzer

Jan 8, 2012
Incontinence pads/knickers

Hi, first time posting. Mum is having accidents every morning, mostly urine a few times both. Incontinence service have been round and Mum only qualifies for one free pad to use at night. The accidents always happen just after she wakes up. Point is that the free pads are useless and our carer says that the best ones are Tena lady knicker ones. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get these? Online or whatever, live near centre of Manchester. Thanks

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi, first time posting. Mum is having accidents every morning, mostly urine a few times both. Incontinence service have been round and Mum only qualifies for one free pad to use at night. The accidents always happen just after she wakes up. Point is that the free pads are useless and our carer says that the best ones are Tena lady knicker ones. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get these? Online or whatever, live near centre of Manchester. Thanks

HI Chazzer and welcome to TP. If you live in Manchester, I can't understand why you are being limited to one useless pad a day. We get three a day in Manchester plus one at night. The night ones are barely adequate and we buy Tena Comfort Maxi. I suggest you contact AS Manchester and ask for their help:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/custom_scripts/branch.php?branch=true&branchCode=12646

Manchester also has Admiral Nurses who can help:

http://www.mhsc.nhs.uk/services/dementia-and-memory-services/admiral-nurse-service.aspx

Assuming that your Mum has been diagnosed she should have someone who oversees her care, probably Adult/Community Mental Health. If you have a contact for this service you should ask them about supply of adequate pads. If you haven't got a contact it would be a good idea to mention this to AS or Admiral Nurses.

Good luck!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thank you for reply. Mentioned the urine problem to G.P. before but all that happened was a urine test. I will have to go back I know but will find this difficult to get him to go to an appointment. Again many thanks for your time.

Hi itsgoingwrong. You might find it helpful to read my reply to Chazzer above. You will need help to get your husband in touch with people who can assist you both with this problem.

You should be able to find your nearest AS branch here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

Here's a link to info about Admiral Nurses including a national helpline number (at the foot of the page:

http://www.dementiauk.org/what-we-do/admiral-nurses/

Good luck!

PS You have at least the beginnings of an Admiral Nurse Service in Cornwall. An excellent AN from Manchester left last year to set up the service in Cornwall.

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello itsgoingwrong

Sound advice given by other members
It may take some time dealing with the incontinence service etc
Unfortunately I have problems hat are not answered fully by the continence service
They will supply me with mountains of unsuitable pads but mention PANTSthey run a mile
So whilst you are waiting and worrying
Take a look at the AGE UK website

http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/...inence-products/disposable-pull-up-pants.html

TENA Pants Super Medium (80-110cm/32-42in) 2200ml - Pack of 12

Ex VAT: £9.94

are good value ( but you can get some brands cheaper )

They have a quick delivery service

jimbo111

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My incontinence nurse calls pull-up pants "cosmetic" and because they are more expensive I can only get two a day. I could get four nappy style ones a day but they are bulky, fiddly to get on and plain undignified. Go figure where their priorities lie!

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Interesting statistic on cost of Incontinence producte to the NHS in 2010

http://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/news/press-releases/2010/improving-supply-of-continence-products/
Dealing with incontinence costs the NHS around £80 million* per year in product costs, and with an ageing population the need for such a resource is rising. NHS Supply Chain’s Home Delivery Service (HDS) helps
Primary Care Trust’s (PCTs) manage the care of incontinence patients efficiently, effectively and with dignity
at home. NHS Supply Chain supports 33% of NHS Primary Care Trust spend through the Home Delivery Service, making NHS Supply Chain the single largest provider of continence care products direct to patients homes in the English NHS. NHS Supply Chain has established itself as the market leader through a flexible service offering high standards of patient service and world class e-systems. HDS standards are monitored by the NHS Businesses Services Authority on behalf of the NHS. Home delivery is defined as delivery to Patients in care or residential homes and patients residing in their own homes

Continence care is going down the pan as costs are cut and prices rise
22 June 2010
Patients are complaining and continence nurses are being forced to restrict types and quantities of products, regardless of need. June Rogers looks at the economy’s impact on care

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
Here is my incontinence experience.

When my mum started to be incontinent I used Tena lady maxi pads, which were fine. However, on one shopping trip to the supermarket there were none left on the shelf so I bought Tena Lady Maxi night. I use these day and night now they are more absorbent (even more than Tena Lady pants).

I have never registered for incontinence services as I was advised by a nurse once that the hospital NHS products are not absorbent enough. I like the maxi night pads as it is shaped at the back and has coped with “poo” accidents too.
When mum goes to day care once a week I put her in Tena Lady pants as I feel she can pull these up easier herself. I send her with spares in a shoulder bag which are quite often not needed as they take them to the loo every few hours.
The supermarket sells maxi night for £2.50 per packet of 6 pads. They are bulky to buy especially when you are doing your weekly shop, and if you shop on line I have found that quite often they are out of stock and try to sub you with Tena lady maxi which are less absorbent.
I also use Tena bed pads as it saves washing. I don’t often have to change this as the maxi night pads do the job most of the time. I buy bags for disposal (Morrison's have their own make especially for incontinent pads) when out and about and always have baby wipes in my handbag and antibacterial gel as well as spare pads of course. A satchel style handbag has pockets that accommodate my "equipment".

I now buy pads direct from Tena Lady www.tenadirect.co.uk or Telephone 0800393431. You register for VAT exemption.

You buy them by the box as the supermarket would. They cost £10.48 per box VAT FREE, with free post (actual the post is not free) – because if you bought them from the supermarket the same would cost you £7.50, (so the £2.98 post is added to their price)
They usually have an offer on buy 4 boxes and get a box free. They have other products for washing including wipes and disposal bed pads. Tena also do products for men. The order is usually delivered within 2- 3 days and is discreetly parcelled and delivered by UPS.

It’s not nice dealing with incontinence and you want to scream sometimes when it happens at the most inappropriate time. But on the outside to Mum I am always calm and say “never mind I’ll soon have you changed”. I just remember all the times she changed me as a child and never complained once.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Everyone's needs differ, which is probably why there are so many different kinds of incontinence pads, pull-ups, nappy styles etc. I'm really pleased for you Winnie that your mum can manage with Tena Lady Maxi. These have a working absorbency of 380ml:

http://www.healthcare.co.uk/tena-lady-maxi-night-incontinence-pads.html

For my wife, at night, we have to use Tena Comfort Maxi with an absorbency of 3200 ml (i.e. an absorbency that's nearly 10 times greater:

http://www.allaboutincontinence.co.uk/tena-comfort-maxi?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-uWjBRChu9ie05m5ipgBEiQAuHIuK1h-K3YUMiJ89i15UjQFcVAZAiiPq_OOHfXhA-fKH-IaAo5o8P8HAQ

And still somewhere between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. every morning I have to get her up to change the pad - the only way to avoid leakage.

It took me a long time to work my way through the various 'solutions' that weren't anything of the kind before reaching this point where any wetness on the bed is a rare occurrence. Knowing what a difference this has made to us it concerns me that there are people out there who are struggling without proper advice and support from continence services or from anyone else and whose lives could become significantly easier.

There should at least be a website somewhere that gives factual information about the wide range of solutions available.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Quick question Stanleypj. You mentioned pads with an absorbency of over 3000 ml. I haven't been able to get any with greater than 1400ml. I can't see the 3000 in your link. Am I missing it? I have to change Bill's (which are maxi) twice through the night. The problem being that the urine doesn't go to the back of the pad for some reason. It goes right up the front and out of sides! I think we're a mystery to the continence service. They have suggested that we're not fitting them correctly but that is not the case. We have a meeting with the service and a representative from Tena on 18 th Dec ( would that make her the Tena lady!;)).

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Quick question Stanleypj. You mentioned pads with an absorbency of over 3000 ml. I haven't been able to get any with greater than 1400ml. I can't see the 3000 in your link. Am I missing it? I have to change Bill's (which are maxi) twice through the night. The problem being that the urine doesn't go to the back of the pad for some reason. It goes right up the front and out of sides! I think we're a mystery to the continence service. They have suggested that we're not fitting them correctly but that is not the case. We have a meeting with the service and a representative from Tena on 18 th Dec ( would that make her the Tena lady!;)).

I found these on a foreign site so they do make them
http://www.sphere-sante.com/protections-anatomiques/protection-anatomique-tena.html

These are 2100 to 2500
http://www.healthcare.co.uk/tena-comfort-incontinence-pads/tena-comfort-super-incontinence-pads.html

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

The absorption rate is in the description Izzy, about three quarters of the way down that section it says 'ISO 11948-1 (Max) Absorption - 3200ml'. Hope you can get your problem sorted out when the Tena lady calls! A friend we met through our singing belongs to a choir where a group of women sing the tenor parts (presumably because of a shortage of men) - no prizes for guessing the punch-line!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oops. I'm misunderstanding the levels somehow. It's the purple maxi (the one on the foreign site) that he uses. It never ever holds that amount as it come out of the top/sides as I described.

He uses the green (super) if we're going out for the day but we have the same issue. I buy these myself as the clinic gives us the yellow (extra) for the day. I can understand their concern as he is wearing a higher level of absorbency than needed but they're not working for him. The pull up pants didn't work either. Neither did the sheaths as he pulls them off or opens the drain!

Sorry for the confusion all.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It just struck me that none of us, in our pre-dementia lives, could ever have imagined that, at this hour on a Sunday morning, we would be engaged in a discussion about the absorption ratings of incontinence pads!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa