Who am I?

ktnic

Oct 23, 2013
Lancashire
Today mum phoned me and said would I phone kathryn and tell her she as ok.......I am kathryn.....everyone including mum calls me Kati........I said I'm Kathryn mum....no your not your Kati.....will ou tell kathryn.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
From everything I have read on here, your Mum thinking that there are two of you is pretty common - it certainly happens with my Mil, who will ask me something for the second time, and when I answer she will tell me that the 'other Ann' said that too. She'll ask for her son, my husband, and I'll tell her he is in the other room - 'No' she will say, 'not your S... - I mean MY S....'. She has even asked my hubby for the phone, so she can 'phone her son and let him know' where she is - he is an only child.

Its dreadfully confusing to deal with, and at times Mil can get upset trying to tell me who the other Ann or S... are, or she will be angry because I can't phone them for her - I just go with trying to change the subject, and distraction - doesn't always (or even, often) work, but when she is in that frame of mind, logic just doesn't come into it, and she can't understand that there is only one of me or him :(

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I had this with my husband. One day he tried to phone his wife (me). Of course the memory on the phone dialled our own house and he got some sort of message saying it couldn't be done.
So he asked me if he could use my mobile to ring her.

I dialled the home number, handed him my mobile, walked into the hall and picked up the extension as it rang. Then had a chat with him, told him I was away working and couldn't get home that night. He said goodbye, I put phone down
i walked into room and he told me the whole conversation he had with his wife!

He knew my name was jeannette and always said goodness my wife us called jeannette too

In future when he asked to speak to his wife I told him she was working abroad and he accepted that.

_Han_

Oct 11, 2014
I can only imagine that they're remembering their wife or son or whoever, as they were years ago. The son in the other room is not the son they remember before he grew up. It must be so confusing to them, remembering their wife as she was but not how she is now.

We haven't got to this stage with my granddad yet, but I don't think we're far off. Although he has called me my Nan's name several times, she died 15 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point