Who am I ? I won't know myself soon!!!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh just seen your update , great news about carer’s , can understand the continuity thing but I think two will be good from the start . I have started thinking that I will get mum used to one and then holiday time she will have a stranger so it could work out better for you . They are used to it so I’m sure they will come in and be happy but confident and make mum feel at ease just like day centre staff . Keep everything crossed for you that it goes well. Glad you have had a better day today and feeling better too. Don’t worry too much about tom just do as before and get there and be happy and chatty and reassuring . Xx

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hope your Mum gets to day care @annielou today and you get a bit of a break. I had wanted Mum to have a few carers but I was actually surprised that she was fine having different people. She had ones she preferred but I think because they chatted about different things she quite liked that.
@Woohoo have a good day too

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Mum went off to day centre this morning, but she did have some diarrohea in the half hour before she went so I'm really hoping she is ok while there. She kept saying I can't not go again and she seemed like she wanted to go. She took some immodium before she went and I just hope she is ok there and it settles so she can forget about it and enjoy her day. I'm keeping my phone nearby in case she carries on and they call me to collect her but really hoping they don't need to ? Fingers crossed.
Thanks @Woohoo @Bikerbeth xx
Two carers aren't that many really are they and like you say it will probably make cover easier when one is off and it might be nice for mum having two different people to talk to too. We can only try it can't we and see how it goes. I'll keep repeating that to myself as I am really nervous about it and I'll say the same to mum when next week comes too.
I'm off to iron now as I'm miles behind with it and going to see how much I can get done before I go back to mums later. ?
Hope everyone has a good day X

Last edited:

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Glad mum got off ok, I’m sure she will be absolutely fine , I think they would only call you in extreme circumstances , they seem to cope with most situations with ease . Enjoy the ironing :). Yes I do think the two will be good , especially at the start , it’s less stress for further down the line. It’s daunting , I wanted to cancel mums carer last Friday several times , but she was great and although I’m still a touch nervous about Friday I am looking forward to her coming and me getting an hour off to tidy upstairs . Have a good day . Xx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hope your mum had a good day and you got all your ironing done @annielou. I was going to say that doing the ironing doesn't seem like much of a break for you, but I always feel better if I get things done that have been annoying me, so I hope getting the ironing cleared did the same for you.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I hope your Mum enjoyed her day at day care with no issues and the ironing basket is now empty - it is just a shame they fill back up again :(

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Mum had a good day at Day centre thanks @Woohoo @Sarasa @Bikerbeth xxx Hope you've all had good days x
Mum said there weren't as many there again like last time she went, but the number did vary when she talked about it so not sure if actually were less people than first she time went, there is a new dementia day centre opened in town recently so maybe some have switched to there, but however many were there mum still said she enjoyed it which is all that matters to me.
The subject of carers came up today and I mentioned someone was coming to see us next week about her having carer come couple of afternoons a week. Mum seemed more bothered that it might mean she wouldn't be going to day centre anymore than about having someone new come to house, so I told her a few times that she could still go like she does now and she seemed relieved. She told me it's nice to have that day out and get chance to chat to others and play games etc, and she'd like to keep that day a week. I was chuffed to little mint balls to hear her talking positively about day centre and still wanting to go. ? ??

Apart from wondering if having carer meant she couldn't go to day centre she was ok when I mentioned someone coming to see us. She did ask if they'd be there all the time and if I wouldn't come anymore so I told her I'd go every day like I do now but a couple of afternoons I'd go home about 2ish and carer would come. She'd stay with her in afternoon, if she wanted go out to shop or something she could go with her, if she was doing anything round house she could help her, or she could just sit and chat and watch tv with her like we were doing and then at dinnertime she would cook her dinner for her and then go home after. It would be regular people coming so she'd get to know them and it would be company and like having a friend come for afternoon and she seemed ok with it. She did she say she didn't want them there all time and prefer them to go after dinner but she didn't say much else just moved onto chatting about something else.
I'm sure when it comes to it she will worry and be nervous and panic a bit, as will I to be honest, but she seems much more accepting of carer idea nowadays.
I won't say much more about it to her as I don't want to build it up for her into a worry, I'll just mention it if it comes up, a bit like today and let mum lead the conversation if she wants to ask anything, but other than that I will just mention it as if sorted and agreed on and nothing to worry about and hopefully that will help her feel ok and not too stressed about it. ?
Doing the ironing wasn't a very rock and roll way to spend my time at home today but I do feel a bit better for doing some. It's not got rid of the massive pile I had (ironing pile not haemorrhoid:oops:) but it's made a dint in it. I haven't had chance to do any proper ironing over last few weeks, I've just done the odd half hour or hour a few times after I've got back from mums on an evening, just ironing enough for 2 or 3 days at a time so it's nice for hubby and I to have a bit of choice in our wardrobes again now. . ??
My sister asked if I had took any time for myself while I was at home today, I said I sat down for 20 minutes to eat my lunch and look up buses for tomorrow as I'm taking mum for breast screening appointment. Sis said that'll be a no then!. But at least I don't feel quite as stressed and annoyed by the ironing now there is a bit less of it. I do struggle with knowing I've not done my housework etc as much or as thoroughly as I used to. There is only so much I can get done on an evening and weekend mornings so any work I get done while mums at day centre and hopefully when she's with carer soon, is a bonus and bit of a relief. As @Sarasa says it feels better when jobs that have been annoying us are done.
Hope all goes well for your tidy upstairs session on Friday @Woohoo ,? we're as rock and roll as each other lol

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
That’s just brilliant about mum and Day centre :). Love the mint balls comment is that a Yorkshire saying ? Well you have had a positive day with mum especially about carer’s to, I think you are more relaxed about it and mum feeds off that ,She sees that you are happy and confident about it so it gives her no reason to worry . Glad you got some ironing done, hopefully once carers start you can have more time at home to do some jobs and then on weds you can do nice things for you . Have a nice evening, and a good day tom. Xx

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I'm not sure @Woohoo it could well be a Yorkshire or northern saying. I often don't realise a saying I use isn't well known until someone says they don't know it.
I used to be on a craft forum years ago and me and my friend from Lancashire used to often get told we should give out a translation dictionary with our posts lol.
Thinking back I remember using it a few times when my sister lived 'darn sarf' and her friends didn't seem to know it, but then again I talk fast and yorkshirey and tend to ramble (as you can see from my posts) so I think a lot of the time they didn't know exactly what I'd said anyway lol.
Hubby usually says chozzed rather than chuffed when he uses it.

Cdj0512

Mar 4, 2020
I am so tired of being called that blooming womans name!!!!!
Mum has been getting me mixed up with other people on and off for a while but for the past fortnight shes been mixing me up with a woman who was partly responsible for mum and dad splitting up.
The woman was part of a couple mum and my dad were friends with about 40 years ago up to 29 years ago when mum thought something was going on between the friend and my dad (there was evidence) and mum and dad split up and mum and the friend haven't been friends since.
But now for the last two weeks mum keeps calling me her name and often talks about my husband as if he is the womans husband and thinks my house is the couples house. My furniture is theirs, Even my Christmas tree which I only bought last year is their tree they have had for years and years.
She keeps telling me (as the old friend) she is going to ring our Andrea, or our Andrea hasn't been to see her, or you've no need to come tomorrow --- because I'll be going to our Andreas. She is constantly refering to our Andrea as someone else not me.
She gets quite annoyed and won't believe that I am her daughter Andrea when I, or hubby, or my sister when she was here last weekend, explain I am not the old friend. She keeps saying she will ring our Andrea and ask her or ring --- and ask her who I am. Then she looks in her bag for something to say who I am or reads her address book to see if it says there who I am. She will read out my address and say you cant live there 999 letsby avenue because our Andrea lives at 999 letsby avenue and you live near me or in (friends village)
The most upsetting and annoying part is that obviously I'm not a fan of the friend and neither was mum for last 29 year so when she realises who she's talking about she isn't happy. It's awkward reminding mum why they are not friends, that her and dad split up 29 year ago and he died 4 year ago. There's no way to avoid telling her either as she gets so confused while talking about things that it has to come out who I am and she gets so het up asking questions about it that you have to answer and reveal I'm Andrea her daughter not the friend. It doesn't sink in properly though and just gets more and more confusing for everyone as she calls me both Andrea and --- in the same sentence.
It's wearing me out, constantly answering questions on the same thing and mum not believing who I am. She just won't stop going round n round it can go on for hours.
It happened a couple of times a day for a few minutes at a time at first, then more times and for longer each day and for the past week she thinks I'm this woman most of the time. And I have the same conversation about fifty times a day now with mum constantly not believing me, getting annoyed and aggressive and then upset.
My sister said at the weekend she was sick of hearing about the friend and didn't know how I could stand it all the time as she couldn't believe how long mum went on for and how confusing it all got.
I am starting to feel like I am going mad and soon won't know who I am.
Sorry for the long ramble but I just wanted to get it out, I have been writing it during another round of --- why hasn't our Andrea been to see me. Do you stay here? Well why isn't our Andrea looking after me. I'll ring her and ask her to do it.
I understand completely how heartbreaking and also infuriating this is

My father asks the same question circa 30 times a day. More than frustrated I get very very sad about it. But I try to reverse my logic by reminsing myself that in 5 yrs time, my father will have advanced to the stage where he will be top. Apathetic to ask any questions or he might be completely nonverbal. So I cherish the questions now bcs questions and talking mean our parent(s) are still inquisitive.. One day they'll stop caring, apathy and silence only. So every repetitive question is a gift

Being mistaken for someone toootally different is really bloody hard. When this happens I try to look my dad in the eye and remind. Myself his spirit is still there in the sparkle of his eyes. But regardless when they forget. Or confuse you it's gutting

Stay strong xx

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I had never heard of ‘chuffed as little mint balls’ and it made me smile. However I was a Midlander who headed south.
So pleased to hear that your Mum enjoyed day care that is such a positive. From your comments it sounds like your Mum is almost laid back about the idea of a carer coming in. As @Woohoo says all your positivity is paying off. However I will also keep everything crossed for you and your Mum to ensure success. So pleased you sound happier too. I know OH can always tell if I have had a good day with Mum or not before I say anything.
I am doing paperwork today (mine and Mum’s) and then taking friend to hospital as she has an issue following an ankle operation. I just didn’t want you to think my life was too exciting either. Have a good day both

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Apparently apart from chuffed to little mind balls you can also be
Chuffed to bits
Chuffed to ribbons and
Chuffed to beans
:cool:

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Chuffed to bits
Chuffed to ribbons and
Chuffed to beans
Don't hear chuffed to beans much but ribbons and bits I've heard lots over the years.
People also say I'm chuffed for yer, as in pleased for you, but then also I'm chuffed off, or he's a right little chuf in negative terms. Its thought more on lines of a light swear word then like chuffing hell. I tend to use it in positive. (Hope allowed to put it on here and not a bad word sorry if doing something wrong x)

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks @Cdj0512 x i'll try to think of it that way when mums repeating x Its really hard to see mum upset and questioning and worrying about things that she doesn't need to be upset about and I wish she wouldn't for her sake as much as mine but I don't want her to be quiet and unable to express her emotions. I just wish, like most people I suppose, that she didn't repeat the same questions that get her upset and worried. I hate seeing her worried and upset and it makes constatly answering them harder but I wouldn't prefer her not talking x

Thanks @Bikerbeth x I hope mums acceptance continues when carers come X fingers crossed.
I must admit I'm starting to fret about how to handle first few visits as I said I'd stay with mum first times with them and wondering whether to ask manager if can come first time just for hour or so to meet us but not stay all usual time as 4&1/2 hours with the 3 of us will be bit odd. I'm also worrying if 4&1/2 hours is too long a time for mum to be with a stranger for both mum and carer and I'm worrying how mum will be when carer leaves if shes found it hard then she'll be on her own after it.
I think over time she'll get used to them but at first I'm worried it will be too much for her spending so long with them and them being last person she sees that day. ?☹️ There's always something to worry if doing right thing and whats best way to handle something isn't there.
Hope your paperwork sorting goes ok and friends ankle appointment goes well.
And rock on you fellow non rock and roller you ? X

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Chuffed to bits
Chuffed to ribbons and
Chuffed to beans
I am very southern and I say chuffed in all of those ways. I listen to a podcast hosted by northerners and they say 'mint' a lot. As in 'you there, thinkin yer mint' or 'that were MINT' and as I am a big fan of mint - mint anything - but of course mint chocolate, especially, I have to admit - I love the phrase 'chuffed to little mint balls' and may try to incorporate it.

I'm afraid I am suspicious of anyone who doesn't like mint. Also I am aware the phrase may have nothing to do with the herb, perhaps it's more 'mint condition' as in Royal Mint but I will always think about yummy mints!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Overwhelmed that's me