Whitty's Warning, COVID Complications

Status
Not open for further replies.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
These are worrying times for people with health problems and their carers. Friends try to reassure me that most people are sensible and will still wear masks, and I hope Chris Whitty is only preparing for a worst case that won't happen.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I happen to agree with this report. As much as I hate wearing the masks I will keep one ready to use.
We have an elderly parent & someone with copd to consider. I feel uneasy about the lifting of all restrictions with rising cases & hospitalisations, whatever the age group. If the virus continues spreading unhindered,even if the majority infected do not get that ill, there is much more likelyhood it will mutate further, plus there is the risk of long covid which seems more prevalent in younger people who dont get that ill.
No easy answers but I will take responsibility for myself & those we need to protect.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
How long before the irreversible is reversed?
Within 3 weeks of the Dutch removing restrictions they reinstated some and their PM apologised.
It is all very worrying and risking more new variants developing with such high case rates. The UK will soon be every country’s red list.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i agree with the report and my husband has COPD and medically exempt from wearing a mask so he at higher risk. with the children breaking up for summer holidays as well so its all in the mix

Silverhair

Feb 11, 2021
I agreed we should keep wearing masks after all the sacrifices we have made this past year i sadly lost my wonderful husband in March because of all the restrictions which i understand we had to have i lost two precious weeks when i couldnt visit my husband only talk to him on the phone i got to be with him for the last few hours before he passed and to see people walking about without masks and no social distancing like at Wimbledon and the england football match it really makes me angry to think of others like me who sacrificed so much and now instance of coming out of lockdown slowly one small step at a time we appear to be coming out one huge step which doesn't make sense to me

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I agree - I got the bus the other day and out of about 7 of us on there (thankfully few) only two of us were wearing masks. The others were younger people in their 40s or 50s. I think people don't realise that it is to protect others not yourself.

There are now 6000 in hospital, it's going up week on week. But some of the press call us doom-sayers and that we want to continue living in lockdown - far from it, we just want sensible precautions to continue for a while yet.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I agreed we should keep wearing masks after all the sacrifices we have made this past year i sadly lost my wonderful husband in March because of all the restrictions which i understand we had to have i lost two precious weeks when i couldnt visit my husband only talk to him on the phone i got to be with him for the last few hours before he passed and to see people walking about without masks and no social distancing like at Wimbledon and the england football match it really makes me angry to think of others like me who sacrificed so much and now instance of coming out of lockdown slowly one small step at a time we appear to be coming out one huge step which doesn't make sense to me
Hello @Silverhair, I'm so sorry to read that you lost your husband earlier this year, please accept my condolences xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Jonathon Van-Tam was on TV this morning asking young people why they didn't want the vaccine. Same answers as usual. 'I am young and it probably won't affect me' 'I don't need it and it's not been tested properly' even 'I have no underlying problems and am not obese' or something similar. Van-Tam pointed out how many younger people are now being admitted to hospital and also the effects of long covid but the answers were the same.

I really wanted him to say in a very loud voice that the people being infected now and being admitted to hospital were being infected because 'people like you won't have the vaccine' I know that this is unreasonable of me but I felt that it should be pointed out 'that you may be okay but you may infect someone who will not be okay'

I don't expect everyone to agree with me :) :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
All these anti vacs and anti mask opinions make me wonder why surgeons world wide wear masks and protective clothing while operating.

Hands up those who would accept surgery by an unmasked operator.

Last edited:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I wish masks were still compulsory in England. Some people are too selfish and stupid to have bothered to read the facts about masks as published by WHO and think they know better.

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
Hopefully they don't keep using the same mask for months on end and wearing it below the nose.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its true that it appears that some younger people hold the view that if they catch it, it will be like flu, a few days feeling rotten and over and done with. they seem to think that they are immortal and death is a long way off
my son was 34yr when he had it and he said it was like been knocked over with a sledge hammer. he was in bed, very short of breath and scared of going to hospital. it took him a few weeks to recover so it can be bad for younger ones. hes scared of needles so as been unable to have the jab even after a few attempts. its a real phobia which i can sympathize with. so @Duggies-girl i agree with you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The trouble is, none of us knows how Covid would affect us if we were infected. Some people have mild symptoms while others end up on ventilators or with long term after effects.

There doesn`t seem to be any certainty how each healthy person would be affected and many who have taken chances have lived to regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher