Whispering

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Does any have experience of a pwd whispering? Like, all the time. My dad is struggling to speak at a normal sound level, he started occasionaly doing it, but he's now whispering quietly 80 - 90% of the time, when i say quietly, even putting my ear near his face i can still barely make out what hes saying. Now this isn't all the time, he can still speak at a normal level, but it's less and less (to be fair, he's speaking much less in general).

But yeah, anyone have any tips about helping with this? Or experienced anything similar?

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @AztecCamera87, my MIL does it all the time. It doesn't seem to be affected by her mood at all nowadays. Sometimes she appears to be repeating what has been said or what she has seen. I wonder if it is a way of helping them make sense of a situation, much like dreams review what has happened in the day and help our brains to process everything.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My OH mutters swear words and suicidal stuff under his breath. Mainly at night, or if he is anxious or unhappy. I just ignore it as it’s not aimed at me.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
My mum talks herself through almost every activity now in what I would call a loud whisper. I think its just part of the disease for her. She does speak increasingly quietly unless she is cross about something. Then she is very loud and clear!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH has started muttering stuff under his breath. He seems to be vocalising his thoughts and doesnt seem to be aware that he is doing it.

Di617

Aug 12, 2021
I am a full time caregiver. My husband has TBI dementia vascular damage. He whispers most of the time now and only uses his voice when distracted or amused. I have been getting frustrated when he seems to get quieter as I listen harder. Sort of like a child who prefers attention whether good or bad...I am working on all of "my very last nerve" patience but finding myself getting tired and just giving up and nodding my head instead of trying to understand. Any idea why this happens?

Winman

Nov 24, 2021
My wife has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s dementia for maybe eight years now. Maybe three years ago she started whispering at night as if she was trying not to wake anybody else up. But now she whispers sometimes during the day sometimes during the night. The whispering is not even words now they’re just syllables. And the whispering is in a steady cadence. It’s actually kind of spooky. It is really bothersome at night when she should be sleeping. I have no idea what to do about it or how to deal with it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to DTP @Winman

I'm afraid I've had no experience of PWD whispering, it sounds as though it's quite unnerving! Maybe others on here have found a way to deal with it and may be along with suggestions.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My OH still does this, and it’s just like thoughts, but he says them out loud. Sometimes it’s just repeating things over and over, and I find if he is unhappy or anxious, then that’s mainly when it happens.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My dad talks quietly to photos of deceased family members quite often. In fact he spends a huge amount of time looking at old photos, and wallowing in sadness that the people in the pictures are all dead. Reminiscence is good but I fear this is more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455