Which one Aricept, Exelon or Reminyl??

Mary11

Nov 25, 2007
Hi,

I'm new here and believe my mother may be in the early stages of Alzheimer's. We have had doctor's appointments and been referred to the Memory Clinic where mum scored 27. The Consultant said that she was in the very early stages but that as mum is still able to look after herself and function normally there was no need for anymore appointments at this stage and just to go home! I questioned this and mum has now been referred privately she has had all the blood tests (normal), ECG (normal) and CT scan which we hopefully will get results of tomorrow. My question is...If the Consultant decides to prescribe mum drugs which one Aricept, Exelon or Reminyl?? I have done some reseach on them but just wondered if any of you could possible give me a more personal insight of what side-effects, benefits etc mum might be in for.

Many thanks
Mary11

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Mary, welcome to TP.

The three drugs you mention all work in a similar way.
Some are tolerated better by the patient than others. Some people never get offered the drugs because of other underlying conditions. So it is still a muddle.

My Lionel has only ever taken Exelon. I have a friend who originally took Excelon, but could not tolerate the higher dose, so he was switched to Aricept.

The drugs do not work for everyone, but if offered need to be given a try.

Do hope something works out soon for your mum.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Are you in England? Because, if so, I doubt you'll be given the opprotunity to try medication. The guidelines rule it out for early stages. Now if you are going privately, you may be given the option and if you can afford it, I would at least give it a trial. However, you are unlikely to be given a choice of specific meds - most consultants will have a preferred protocol i.e. they always start with one drug and see how it goes.

Mary11

Nov 25, 2007
Thanks to you both...Connie a question. Why was Lionel prescriped Exelon over the other two drugs..hope you don't mind me asking, just trying to cover all my corners and options. And yes Jennifer I am having to take my mum private, no other option unfortunately...but then she is my mum so you do what you have to and what you are able to do.

PS. I have posted this thread in the wrong place?? Sorry if I have.

Love
Mary11

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's fine if you want it to stay here, but you might get more responses in the main forum. I can move the thread if you would like?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Mary, I was advised bt the nurse who first tested John to ask for Reminyl (galantamine), because it had an extra ingredient, which made it more effective.

It certainly worked wonders for John. But other members have had excellent results with the other drugs.

On the other hand, they can all produce bad side effects. Some people can tolerate one but not another, some can't tolerate any of them. There may be a great deal of trial and error involved in finding the right one.

Have you read the AS factsheet?

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/407

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Mary, Lionel was not given a choice.

At that time the drugs had only just started to come into general use. It was still something of a postcode lottery. We just jumped at the chance to 'give them a go'

Lionel is still on Exelon 6 years later.

Mary11

Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for all your replies. Just want to make sure mum is going to be okay, if she is prescribed medication, as she lives on her own and would not like her to experience anything that might frighten or alarm her. I have read the information sheets and browsing through other posts it looks like it's just trial and error in finding the most suitable for each individual.

Thanks
Mary

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't know whther it's a consideration but bear in mind that when buying these drugs as well as the cost of the drug, there is a dispensing charge that can vary widely between pharmacies, and even between the same company, particularly if they offer an online service. So it's a good idea to check before submitting a prescription.

Mary11

Nov 25, 2007
Thanks Jennifer. The Consultant did advise me of this and after shopping around I found that I could save £52.00 per quarter!!

Mary11

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976