Which local authority would fund Mum's care?

Strawberries

Sep 5, 2014
Mum was living in her own home in County A, but has now moved to County B to a care home near to where I live. At the moment she is self-funding, but when the money runs out, would it be County A or County B that funds her care?

Could be significant, as County A seem to pay nearly £200 less per week....

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Not exactly the same as your case but this may be of help.

My dad is moving into a care home and the local authority will be paying for his care. But he now wants to move to a care home near me in a different local authority. What happens now?

It is possible for a relative to move to a care home near you. His current local authority is still responsible for paying his care home fees. They are only obliged to fund your relative up to the limit for their own area, or for the area your relative moves to – whichever is lower. However, the current local authority may agree to pay more for a care home if your relative's assessment included a need to move to another part of the country – for example to be nearer to family.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2710

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Mum was living in her own home in County A, but has now moved to County B to a care home near to where I live. At the moment she is self-funding, but when the money runs out, would it be County A or County B that funds her care?

Could be significant, as County A seem to pay nearly £200 less per week....

Thanks

How long will she be self-funding? How long has she been self-funding in County B?

This all comes down to where she is considered to be ordinarily resident. While the link nitram gave is possibly relevant, the situation where a person is currently funded by one LA but wants to move to another LA is quite different from the situation you find yourself in. Assuming she will be self-funding for more than a few weeks or months, it is probably that County B will be the funding authority. There are one or two wrinkles here that might be an issue (does she have a deferred payment agreement with County A would be the major stumbling block here) but she's probably now considered a resident of County B.

Edit to add example

Screen shot 2015-01-29 at 4.23.19 PM.png

Last edited:

Strawberries

Sep 5, 2014
Many thanks for your responses!

She's been in her care home for 6 months, and once we sell her flat there will be money to keep her going for a reasonable length of time. So it's reassuring that she should be considered a resident in the new local authority area, where funding isn't so mean.

Whether or not they would pay for her to stay in her current home is of course another question, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Strawberries

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
And no deferred payment agreement? Then you are fine (well - you know what I mean).