Which Local Authority should help us?

gaz

Nov 28, 2013
Hi, first time poster here. My MIL is 87 and, whilst she has not been diagnosed with dementia, is becoming very confused and forgetful. She is also frail and cannot do much for herself such as cooking, washing etc. My wife and I brought her to stay with us about six weeks ago, as she was not managing on her own.

We live within the Richmond-on-Thames local authority. We'd like to have an assessment of her MIL's care needs carried out, so contacted them about this. They informed us that, since MIL's council house is in a different local authority - Elmbridge - we should request assistance from Elmbridge instead. However, the Community Care assessment factsheet on the Alzheimer's Society website says: "Government guidance states that the local authority in which the person is physically present at that time has the responsibility".

Could anyone advise what our next step should be? Thanks.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is it your intention that your MIL should remain living with you? In that have you registered her with a GP, redirected her mail, and done all the things that you would normally do in such a situation?

This is the "government guidance" that is referred to in the fact sheet https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-of-people-in-need-of-community-care-services

It's a long document, but it might come down to: did she have capacity to make the decision about this move? Because if she did, then it will be much easier to show that she is now resident in your home, even if she still retains an interest in property in another LA. Length of time has nothing to do with this, and intention is the most important thing. However, it's not always as clear cut as it might be.

Page 7 of the document, particularly paragraph 5, outlines what should happen if their is a dispute about which LA is responsible.

Bear in mind when reading the document that there are different rules for residential and non-residential services.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am no expert on LA procedures but my thoughts are that Elmridge should do this. A needs assessment would cover whether or not your MIL was capable of living alone and what she needed to support her. They would then be responsible for providing whatever was needed, usually carers several times a day. day centre, or a care home.

I suggest you go back to Elmridge and explain the situation. If you agree to take responsibility for your MIL but with assisted care from LA, then they have to come some agreement with the new LA as they could be responsible financially.

gaz

Nov 28, 2013
Thanks for the helpful replies and the website link - looks like I have a bit of reading to do.

We are currently in the process of registering MIL with a GP local to us. The intention is not that she will live with us full-time - we currently see a care home as the best option, but would ideally like one near to us rather than in Elmbridge. I would like to think she could stay in her own home, but I can't see it as she already needs supervision and assistance to do anything at all - at the very least, her house would need a lot of modification for her to stand any chance of returning there.

As regards MIL's own wishes, I really don't believe she's thought about it. She seems happy enough with us and has expressed no desire to go back home. We haven't broached the subject of her long-term arrangements with her yet.

gaz

Nov 28, 2013
Just to provide an update. I rang Elmbridge on Friday and they were very helpful. Said there would be no problem coming to our home to do an assessment if required, even though it's physically in a different borough. They're going to contact me within the next couple of weeks to arrange an initial phone assessment, so I'm happy that things are moving.