Which idea do you like better?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
What do you think about a network of small speakers, one in each room of the house, that read out information when the person leaves/enters a room: date, time, room name, and reminders from caregiver. Do you see a need for this kind of speaker network?

Not at all, in answer to your question but what is needed is a network of 'real' people carers that really understand dementia and work with people. It is a dehumanising illness and thinking 'recorded voices' will fill the gap will only further dehumanise and very likely make symptoms worse as others have also expressed.

It does seem that you have little insight into dementia and if you really want to live up to your name I too would suggest that you do a bit of research about the condition and its effects on people's lives; then you may really be able to put your mind and your skills toward something that really could help. Something to help a carer in their role may also be worth considering as the load on carers is immense which you would appreciate if you spent just a little time reading some of the threads/posts on TP.:)

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Paranoia was a huge part of my husband's dementia. He was totally convinced that there were evil men living in our house and outside - even though we couldn't see them. He could hear them talking, and discussing awful things. He also believed there were evil children living in the trees outside - he used to take snacks out because he thought they got nothing to eat. Paranoia like this is quite common, and to suddenly hear a disembodied voice instructing them to do something would, I think, be very frightening for a person with dementia.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
It's encouraging to see people are researching into problem solving but I can't see my Dad getting on with any of these. Besides dementia he is very hard of hearing . He has the TV on continuously and if you speak to him he waves the remote around randomly before handing it to me so I can turn it off and he can listen to me as - in his words - I can't do 2 things at once". He tried to turn the radio off with the tv remote and couldn't work out that the voice wasn't coming from the tv. I think any gadget speaking would either not be heard or by the time he had figured out how to turn the tv off , he would have forgotten why he had wanted it off in the first place.
I would also suggest flashing lights etc would meet the same response. Eyes are most often shut and when open have a very narrow field of vision directly in front.
I guess a device you describe would have a market in the early phases but not for those further down the road. I hope all the negative comments on here don't put you off!

Last edited: