Where to get copy of LPOA certified?

Stec

Nov 28, 2016
I showed the original to a bank, and they made a copy, stamped and certified every page and faxed it to their Head Office or somewhere, and gave me access to the account. Having made faxed the copy they had no need of it and gave it back to me. I have since been able to use it as a certified copy that satisfied many purposes. No charge.
My own bank did me another certified copy for nothing, so I have two.
I am now selling the house and I am told those are not satisfactory, so I might be going to a solicitor for a new copy.

Here's how the system would work if I was in charge. Since all the LPAs are registered with OPG and every one has a unique reference number, you just need to give the number to the bank or whoever. They have a look on the OPG website, put in the number and see the details of the attorney. You just then show some ID to prove you are the attorney, and the job is done. Is there any reason why it can't work that way? Should we campaign to make it work that way?

iq200

Jan 25, 2016
I showed the original to a bank, and they made a copy, stamped and certified every page and faxed it to their Head Office or somewhere, and gave me access to the account. Having made faxed the copy they had no need of it and gave it back to me. I have since been able to use it as a certified copy that satisfied many purposes. No charge.
My own bank did me another certified copy for nothing, so I have two.
I am now selling the house and I am told those are not satisfactory, so I might be going to a solicitor for a new copy.

Here's how the system would work if I was in charge. Since all the LPAs are registered with OPG and every one has a unique reference number, you just need to give the number to the bank or whoever. They have a look on the OPG website, put in the number and see the details of the attorney. You just then show some ID to prove you are the attorney, and the job is done. Is there any reason why it can't work that way? Should we campaign to make it work that way?

stec - i completely agree. if you can find a local outlet of a financial company than there is no excuse for them. I have done it for example at the main bank where my father went and to his surgery. In each case, they take a copy of the original and certify the copy they have taken themselves for their records.

I agree, there should be a system for relatives of people with these conditions. Its bad enough trying to cope in looking after them. What you're proposing is similar to the blue badge system for cars. There should be some sort of large campaign but only organizations such as the ones that runs this site and others are the ones who have the collective power to do this. Perhaps we forum members should petition them to petition the govt?

Last edited by a moderator:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Since all the LPAs are registered with OPG and every one has a unique reference number, you just need to give the number to the bank or whoever. They have a look on the OPG website, put in the number and see the details of the attorney. You just then show some ID to prove you are the attorney, and the job is done. Is there any reason why it can't work that way?

The complete LPA would also have to be available online.
Not all LPAs are simple, for instance think of the section defining which actions can be taken severally and which have to be joint.
Also there may be extra clauses inserted e.g. cannot be used whilst donor retains capacity

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
When I needed a certified copy of the LPA, I phoned around local solicitors and everyone charged £35 per copy. Of course, there might have been ones that charged less as I didn't ring every single one, just selected a few. It did seem to be a matter of 'price fixing' but I certainly didn't have the time or energy to keep looking for someone cheaper.

Stec

Nov 28, 2016
The complete LPA would also have to be available online.
Not all LPAs are simple, for instance think of the section defining which actions can be taken severally and which have to be joint.
Also there may be extra clauses inserted e.g. cannot be used whilst donor retains capacity
Ok, good point, let's have the whole thing online. It would take away all the hassle about certifying copies and whoever is reading it can interpret any clauses just as they do now, but immediately and without cost.