Where to buy bed sheets

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My mother is in a hospital bed at home and has had a new pad prescription,the new pads don't hold urine so well,and I will need to go out and buy extra fitted sheets so she has a good supply of them,could anyone tell me a good place to purchase at a reasonable price please,it's s single fitted sheet I'm after,I haven't purchased sheets before,lets just say I'm a man so I don't know the good things you ladies do about where to purchase such items,it would probably have to be online as we don't have many good shops near us

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm not sure of a good supplier of fitted sheets but wondered if you have tried Kylie sheets on the bed. I used to use them on my husband's bed and it often meant I only had the Kylie to was, not the whole fitted sheet.

This link will show you what they're like but you can bet them from a lot of online suppliers - sorry if you already know about them!

https://www.incontinencechoice.co.u...MIvNuwv7T03AIVTPlRCh26KQlQEAAYAyAAEgJWEfD_BwE

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I bought mum a couple of mattress/protector fitted sheets from complete care online shop. The great advantage to these is that they have a waterproof backing and top part that goes next to skin is a soft cotton type material.. Really cut down on my washing as I do not need a second ordinary sheet on top. If you do check these out online make sure you check measurements.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
We tried initially the small disposable bed pads (think they came from a supermarket) but they were pretty much useless as just turning over in bed and they moved, we then found that Mum either threw them out or put them under the pillow. The Kylie pads are very good, we found it better to lay them the length of the bed (so top to bottom) and not across the bed like a lot of the photos show. Even though mum used incontinence pads she very often leaked in the night and the pad would be damp in the morning - I think the liquid is drawn away from the skin, but the sheet underneath was dry
They are easy to wash and can be tumbled dried but don't use fabric conditioner in the wash. Hope this helps

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Jale - I found this to be the best way as well.

The Kylie pads are very good, we found it better to lay them the length of the bed (so top to bottom) and not across the bed like a lot of the photos show.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you buy fitted sheets check the thickness of the mattress, some hospital mattresses are very thick.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
witts - I use disposable bed pads, it's much easier and they are fairly cheap. I buy them from Incontinence Choice on line. As I've mentioned on TP before, I have huge problems with mum's urine output (massive flood, all in one go!) so have tried lots of things to cope with this. I put a large disposable bed pad underneath her (I use the Lille Classic bed pad, 60cm x 90cm), then for overnight, or when I leave her in bed during the day, I wrap a smaller bed pad (I use Viva Medi's Bed Pads Plus 40cm x 60cm) around her left side, which is where, for some strange reason, the leakage always occurs. If her pad leaks, then the smaller bed pad catches it (and sometimes this saves the nightie getting wet too), and if that fails then the bigger bed pad usually holds any overflow. I usually manage to save the actual bed sheets this way. I know it's not very 'environmentally friendly' of me, but life is hard enough without extra things to wash on a regular basis. The disposable bed pads probably do move around more than the washable ones would, as they are flimsier, but I've become a bit of an expert at positioning them! You can also re use them a few times if they remain clean and dry. Eventually they kind of wear thin in places, but I find it works well for me.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm not sure of a good supplier of fitted sheets but wondered if you have tried Kylie sheets on the bed. I used to use them on my husband's bed and it often meant I only had the Kylie to was, not the whole fitted sheet.

This link will show you what they're like but you can bet them from a lot of online suppliers - sorry if you already know about them!

https://www.incontinencechoice.co.u...MIvNuwv7T03AIVTPlRCh26KQlQEAAYAyAAEgJWEfD_BwE
Thanks they look good,I do use and inco sheet 60c

Hi it's something I will look at I use a disposable inco sheet 60cm x 60cm at the moment and have already had somebody frown at that being used mum has an alternating air mattress and and extra sheets are supposed to stop it from working so well,it odes seem that you can't keep everybody happy,they look good though

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
witts - I use disposable bed pads, it's much easier and they are fairly cheap. I buy them from Incontinence Choice on line. As I've mentioned on TP before, I have huge problems with mum's urine output (massive flood, all in one go!) so have tried lots of things to cope with this. I put a large disposable bed pad underneath her (I use the Lille Classic bed pad, 60cm x 90cm), then for overnight, or when I leave her in bed during the day, I wrap a smaller bed pad (I use Viva Medi's Bed Pads Plus 40cm x 60cm) around her left side, which is where, for some strange reason, the leakage always occurs. If her pad leaks, then the smaller bed pad catches it (and sometimes this saves the nightie getting wet too), and if that fails then the bigger bed pad usually holds any overflow. I usually manage to save the actual bed sheets this way. I know it's not very 'environmentally friendly' of me, but life is hard enough without extra things to wash on a regular basis. The disposable bed pads probably do move around more than the washable ones would, as they are flimsier, but I've become a bit of an expert at positioning them! You can also re use them a few times if they remain clean and dry. Eventually they kind of wear thin in places, but I find it works well for me.

Hi thanks my mum did have a 60cm x 60 cm inco sheet in place maybe it hadn't been placed quite right,I have checked before the very minute carers have left and found one under her shoulder blades instead of her bum before

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I had that too - district nurses telling me that I shouldn't use the top Wendylett sheet on an alternating airflow mattress, the advice was to only have one layer on the bed. But they weren't the ones who had to reposition mum, on their own, after doing a bed change. Smart advice is good, but how on earth was I to move mum up the bed on my own without the second sheet to slide her up the bed on? Experts who do not actually deal with something are very irritating. In the end I stopped getting cross, nodded my head, and just did my own thing.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Hi thanks my mum did have a 60cm x 60 cm inco sheet in place maybe it hadn't been placed quite right,I have checked before the very minute carers have left and found one under her shoulder blades instead of her bum before

It sounds like you need to educate the agency carers! I would suggest a larger one would be better, longest section across the bed, definitely under her bottom!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I had that too - district nurses telling me that I shouldn't use the top Wendylett sheet on an alternating airflow mattress, the advice was to only have one layer on the bed. But they weren't the ones who had to reposition mum, on their own, after doing a bed change. Smart advice is good, but how on earth was I to move mum up the bed on my own without the second sheet to slide her up the bed on? Experts who do not actually deal with something are very irritating. In the end I stopped getting cross, nodded my head, and just did my own thing.[/QUOTE

Tell me about it,I had a member of the continence team pulling faces at me last week in front of a friend that was visiting,as I obviously wasn't dynamic enough for her,she then kindly changed my mothers prescription to pads that are useless and even tried to give her 3 pads when we have 4 care calls

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
It sounds like you need to educate the agency carers! I would suggest a larger one would be better, longest section across the bed, definitely under her bottom!
Yes mum has just been given new pads the type that you wear with fitted pants the first 2 times when I looked at my mum in her nets with her lying down,you could not see any of the pad pulled over the vaginal area you wouldn't have known she was wearing one as it hadn't been pulled upwards at all ,I couldn't believe it,2 people roll my mum from side to side when pad changing and when she had been rolled back on to her bottom in a seated position they had left her legs in the same position she was when she was on her side,as soon as they had left my mum called me in discomfort and I pulled back the sheet and saw her legs,they had marked the call log as left comfy though
The last 2 days she has had very wet pads,I suppose she hasn't been letting any urine out by choice but it stays in the bladder until it can't hold any more and just floods out in a large quantity

Last edited:

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
We tried initially the small disposable bed pads (think they came from a supermarket) but they were pretty much useless as just turning over in bed and they moved, we then found that Mum either threw them out or put them under the pillow. The Kylie pads are very good, we found it better to lay them the length of the bed (so top to bottom) and not across the bed like a lot of the photos show. Even though mum used incontinence pads she very often leaked in the night and the pad would be damp in the morning - I think the liquid is drawn away from the skin, but the sheet underneath was dry
They are easy to wash and can be tumbled dried but don't use fabric conditioner in the wash. Hope this helps[/QUOTE

Thanks,I know what you are saying they do move about,I suppose it's tricky for the carers as they position my mum with a slide sheet and that will move the sheet as well,I will have a look at the kylies though