Where do I start?

Beestie

Jul 17, 2013
I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. My Mum has vascular dementia and has been deemed as not having mental capacity.

Mum's memory has deteriorated quite quickly over the last 12 months and I have been unable to obtain lasting power of attorney.

I have been told there are other ways of being able to help and assist my Mum with her financial affairs. She lives in social housing and has very few savings but I want to make sure I am able to support her in the best way possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
You have two options. The first one, and probably the right one given the circumstances, is for you to become an Appointee. Contact the DWP and ask about this. The usual process is for someone to come out to have a word with you (and with your mum, but don't worry too much about that) and if they agree that you should be helping your mum you will be given the go-ahead to take control of her benefits (state pension and anything else she might be receiving). That's pretty much it!

If money other than state benefits is involved or if there are other assets you might need access to (though it doesn't sound like it) then the route to take is the Deputyship one. This process is much more involved but several of us here have been through it so feel free to ask about it if that's the option you choose.

Long Tom

Nov 7, 2013
Midlands
Sort out the bank too

If your mum cannot understand what she is signing at all, then she cannot even access a small amount of money from her bank account. If she can give you legitimate permission to access her funds, ok, but this may be seen as, or feel dodgy. I would advise against using the PIN if you know it, or getting her to sign things just because she will.

BUT - capacity is not a single definition stopping all decisions - it is 'issue specific'. Therefore this may be better:

If she is able to explain to bank staff that she wants to close her account, and they ask her the right questions and she can show she understands what will happen, they should feel able to act on her instruction. This may help you to help her access the savings, so you could open an account for her money in your name and put her money in there. This is then ready for when Appointeeship is arranged. No dodginess, just a clear decision made on a specific issue. She may even forget she had done it later, but that does not matter.

Would that be do-able? If your mum could not manage it, it's an application for Deputyship (or a similar process) or the money sits there for the rest of her time.
Best wishes
LT