where do i go from here

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
What a strange day today,took mum out for a treat at the garden centre.its so heartbreaking we didn't have a proper conversation all she was talking about was her friends on the tv.........she cant hold a conversation anymore:(.I have got an appointment on Monday with the gp without mum so hopefully I can get some answers.also her legs and feet have started to swell up really bad any idea what this could be.

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not medical but your describing Paranoid Psychosis, my mum had this a long time before Dementia set in fact Dementia relieved her symptoms. I think you said she's been sectioned so has had experience of Mental Health issues in the past. So you GP must address this matter much more seriously forget lets wait and see please help her. What does your dad want you do do as its to just your problem. I'm sorry and don't know how old you are but this sounds a lot more serious than being confused.
If she refuses to take medication much like my mum sometimes; I hate to say this but Eastenders did portray this well in a storyline about Jean but she may need much more help than a GP can provide.
But I would actually stamp my foot say to the GP she is a danger to herself (as otherwise rights rear their head, she has a right to be ill etc) and insist she has access to a Mental Heath professional ie Admiralty nurse, asap. Call the GP out as well that is usually enough to get something done.
You have my sympathy and hope you keep us up to date. lots of hugs been there and done that but never argue with her and don't get upset you can't change the situation just work around it. If it helps my mum took medication for 20 years and was fine and although had breakthroughs on occasion she mostly was free from fear and sociable and my mum thought all sorts of weird stuff.
hi,thanx for your reply it was very helpful,mum and dad divorced so that helped when she had got rid of him.lol.im 51 and the youngest of 3 and I have been mums carer for 20 years plus hold down a job delivering for a pharmacy.i need an escape but its getting more and more difficult to concentrate because im worrying all the time im on the road if shes ok .shes completely lost in the world of tv now that is the only thing she talks about that they are her friends,she says they talk to her personally.also she wont allow any of us into her lounge anymore because there are too many people in there ..... people off the tv .what a sad sad illness.i just come home and cry for england

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Hi Deedi

I'm sorry to read your last post please if its that bad, get help. Call the GP in and if necessary get her help because this sounds serious. She may not want help but she clearly need it.If she is hearing voices I'd call the local metal health team for advice or even take her to the local A and E.
I don't know if she has been diagnosed with Dementia but what if this is not Dementia but another illness easily treated. Please do pursue it as my feeling is your GP is a P---t. Get her help as asap, before her friends tell her to shut herself off, that may have begun if she wan't let you into the room where the tv is. I think it may be time to shout and tell the gp that you can't cope any more and contact the LA Social Services to see if you can refer her for a visit as she may self harm perhaps. Good luck.

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
Hi Deedi

I'm sorry to read your last post please if its that bad, get help. Call the GP in and if necessary get her help because this sounds serious. She may not want help but she clearly need it.If she is hearing voices I'd call the local metal health team for advice or even take her to the local A and E.
I don't know if she has been diagnosed with Dementia but what if this is not Dementia but another illness easily treated. Please do pursue it as my feeling is your GP is a P---t. Get her help as asap, before her friends tell her to shut herself off, that may have begun if she wan't let you into the room where the tv is. I think it may be time to shout and tell the gp that you can't cope any more and contact the LA Social Services to see if you can refer her for a visit as she may self harm perhaps. Good luck.
Hi ,my sister and I went to chat with the gp this morning,and after our chat she decided to do a home visit to asses the situation,gp thinks its def alzheimers /dementia.and has decided to call in phsyciatric help.so figers crossed things will get moving now,i feel more positive today :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Pleased to hear that something is being done at last and that you feel more positive, I hope it goes well,

Best wishes Jeany x

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi ,my sister and I went to chat with the gp this morning,and after our chat she decided to do a home visit to asses the situation,gp thinks its def alzheimers /dementia.and has decided to call in phsyciatric help.so figers crossed things will get moving now,i feel more positive today :)

Well done deedi!

Sometimes you just have to gather your courage and act, don't you? Add dementia to a situation and the right thing to do can be clear as mud, and you just have to trust your instincts and remember you're motivated by love.

Lovely to read about collaborative siblings too <envious sigh> :)

Look after yourself,
Toni x

deedi

Jun 11, 2013
care plan

hi,can anyone advice me on how do I get a care plan set up for my mum,its getting to the point where I am too drained to be of any use,i am having phone calls in the night and during the day when im at work,i call in 2/3 times a day to do lunch and dinner.shes no longer able to hold a conversation ,doesn't know how to do anything to eat or drink,she refuses to go to the memory clinic or have anyone come in ,thanx di

Wigan

May 5, 2013
As far as I know a care plan has to be arranged by a social worker. Your mum definitely needs assessing as it sounds like she is getting worse very quickly. If I was you I would call the surgery again and ask their advice and stress that you are at a loss what to do. Having said that I would probably take her to your local A&E as clearly there is something very wrong for her to deteriorate so quickly.