Where can I get information?

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
I am not having much luck with social services.
It's not that they are doing anything wrong. They are just largely absent.
I wrote a 'pointed' letter about the lack of information from them a couple of months ago. It resulted in a visit from dad's social worker in which he discussed the option of respite. The day centre that Dad goes to no longer does respite, which is a blow, but the social worker took a couple of dates from me and said he would look into other care homes in the area. He sent me an e-mail later that day saying he was making enquiries and would contact me within the week.
Then nothing. It has been something like two months now. I e-mailed him last Monday, simply saying "have you got anywhere?", and have had no response. The first date I gave him was mid May! I'm guessing that's not going to happen now.
I'm tired of trying to get information from them. I still don't know if they ever registered my carer's self-assessment, done last July, which I did ask about in my letter. Anyway, it makes no difference as I've never got any response from it.
Right now I want to know about fees and funding for the services dad receives. I assume there will be a bill for respite, but previous experience tells me it'll probably just drop through the post one day with no warning. Dad owns his own home but has savings under the threshold so gets support.
But I know nothing about how it works, how things are worked out. I am seriously thinking about getting a live-in carer so i can go for a short break. I would even consider doing this instead of respite and paying the difference, but I don't even know if this is possible. At the rate things seem to be moving I'm not sure dad is ever going to get respite anyway.
I really would like more information on how the system works, but don't know who I can get it from. I've even e-mailed my local Alzheimer's Society office to ask if they can direct me, but as yet have heard nothing back. Is there somewhere where I can just read up on this sort of thing, or do I really have to rely on the snail-like workings of my local social services?

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
you unfortunately have to chase them up and make a noise!!!....keep ringing the SW till you get him and insist on a date and the information you want..don't be put off and complain if you get no joy...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Right now I want to know about fees and funding for the services dad receives. I assume there will be a bill for respite, but previous experience tells me it'll probably just drop through the post one day with no warning. Dad owns his own home but has savings under the threshold so gets support.

Have you had a financial assessment for your dad and do you have a POA? If you have and you do, I`m afraid you do need to keep phoning and reminding.

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
Yes I do- to both.
I haven't had a day away from dad in over a year now (not counting when I am at work)- I'm at work when he goes to day care which means that in roughly the last 400 days I have had four 6 hour periods away from him (when I am on holiday and he is at day care). I'm tired right now and really need a break, but I'm not good at chasing these people up. I don't know how to make them understand I really do want their support. In the last visit everything I said about how things were seemed to get put down to nothing. I even pointed out dad's issues with time, to which the social worker asked dad what time it is. Of course dad replies (after looking at the clock): "It's eleven-o-clock" to which the social worker just looks at me. The fact that I had just explained to him that he doesn't know what eleven-o-clock means didn't seem to make any difference.
It's laughable seeing as at the beginning they were the ones telling me to make sure I took care of myself.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
So sorry to hear what you are going through - not much experience but can you contact your GP and ask for any urgent carers assessment for YOU?

Other harsher approaches are to say 'right from such a date I will be away - my Dad and any adverse consequences will become your responsibility from then - put this in writing.

Hope someone better at this comes along to help you - keep your chin up ;)

Yes I do- to both.
I haven't had a day away from dad in over a year now (not counting when I am at work)- I'm at work when he goes to day care which means that in roughly the last 400 days I have had four 6 hour periods away from him (when I am on holiday and he is at day care). I'm tired right now and really need a break, but I'm not good at chasing these people up. I don't know how to make them understand I really do want their support. In the last visit everything I said about how things were seemed to get put down to nothing. I even pointed out dad's issues with time, to which the social worker asked dad what time it is. Of course dad replies (after looking at the clock): "It's eleven-o-clock" to which the social worker just looks at me. The fact that I had just explained to him that he doesn't know what eleven-o-clock means didn't seem to make any difference.
It's laughable seeing as at the beginning they were the ones telling me to make sure I took care of myself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lolly53