Where can I buy clothes for Mum?

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Well, we’ve had the inevitable crisis and mum is now on a mental health ward in hospital, from where she will go to a care home. This means I need to get more clothes for her, ones that will withstand the care home laundry process as well as meeting her particular requirements which arise from a physical deformity and her very sensitive skin.

I have looked at existing threads for this but they all seem to be several years old and many of the brands mentioned no longer exist, as well as the quality and type of garments produced by old favourites such as M&S having gone downhill a lot in the last couple of years.

The problem is finding tops which aren’t fitted in style, which button down the front and have a reasonably wide collar-and-revere style open neckline. Ideally in a soft poly cotton fabric, preferably plain white. I have tried all the websites I can think of but nothing seems to fit the bill. Mum struggles with Tshirt type garments or anything that has to go over the head, and the deformity is in her neck (she has Klippel-Feil syndrome) so extra bones and fused vertebrae get in the way and there is very limited neck movement which makes closer fitting or grandad style collars a problem. Any kind of lace or broderie trimming is out, and she likes sleeves short but not too short. I have looked at girls’ school shirts as mum is quite petite, but they all seem to be quite fitted, with very short cap sleeves and quite high fitting necklines.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I was going to say - Cotton Traders, all day, but then saw your needs and to be honest, I think you'd be better off finding someone who can make them for mum, and could make her a set of seven or more. I had some tops custom made last year (but I wouldn't recommend to you, as her waiting list is very long) and they are great.

That said, these don't look very fitted: B&C Ladies Oxford Short Sleeve Shirt/Ladies Shirts: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing
Fruit of the Loom Women's Oxford Short Sleeve Shirt: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing
Classic Revere Collar Long / Short Sleeve Blouse - Armstrong Aviation Clothing
This might be a bit left-field: Allegra K Women's Sweet Peter Pan Collar Button Up Soft Short Sleeve Shirt: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing

Buskitten

Dec 10, 2018
I’ve found these to be quite good for mum - maybe worth a look ?

I hope this helps ?

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks @Andy54 and @Buskitten , I will look at those. Damart never seem to have stock of anything I think is ok! But I'll keep looking. Cotton Traders are great for the trousers, already got those lined up. The other sites are new, so fingers crossed.

I had thought of extracting one of her old shirts, which she made herself many years ago, if I can find someone that can unpick it and use the pieces as a pattern for new ones. If push really comes to shove I may have to give it a go myself!

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
have you tried some of the supermarkets like george at asda. they are durable and affordable as they may get lost or i like atlas for women. not sure if that helps or could you buy a size bigger to give her room

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
bit of an off the wall thought- google ''waitress blouses''

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I was going to say have a look at supermarkets. I got mum loads of stuff in Sainsburys. It's cheap but seems to wash OK and I'm sure I've seen some blouses that might do. Asda and Tesco are also good bets.
It must be tricky trying to organise things from a distance @CardiffGirlInEssex

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
Local, anything I can do to help? @CardiffGirlInEssex
That's really kind of you, @My Mum's Daughter . I'm just looking for options at the moment, hadn't thought about supermarket ranges as there are no really big ones here. I am going to Cardiff for the weekend so will check out the big supermarkets there. I have a slot to visit mum at the hospital on Saturday, she's likely to be there for a few weeks so I have a bit of breathing space to find things for her.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
I was going to say have a look at supermarkets. I got mum loads of stuff in Sainsburys. It's cheap but seems to wash OK and I'm sure I've seen some blouses that might do. Asda and Tesco are also good bets.
It must be tricky trying to organise things from a distance @CardiffGirlInEssex
Thanks @Sarasa, yes the distance is a pain but at least I can now visit and, as dad is now home alone (apart from his carer visits) I can stay at the house with a clear conscience. I'll investigate what's on offer at the big supermarkets there, ours are not great for clothing.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
bit of an off the wall thought- google ''waitress blouses''

That looks very interesting, thanks @Jessbow

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
How’s your dad doing @CardiffGirlInEssex ? I guess it might be a relief that your mum is no longer at home in some ways, but so tough is so many others. I hope they sort your mum out and find a care home you are happy with. Stressful times, but DTP is always around if you need to offload.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
How’s your dad doing @CardiffGirlInEssex ? I guess it might be a relief that your mum is no longer at home in some ways, but so tough is so many others. I hope they sort your mum out and find a care home you are happy with. Stressful times, but DTP is always around if you need to offload.
Thanks, @Sarasa. Dad is ok, he’s had a bad few days with the stress of it all but his carers say he is very much brighter this morning. I think we are both feeling a mixture of relief and sadness. Relieved that Mum is getting the care she needs, but very sad that this is how their life together ends. They have been married almost 60 years. The hospital have been excellent so far at caring for mum and keeping me informed. She seems to be beginning to settle which I think is because she is no longer on her own at all. She is still “ off with the fairies” as far as her grip on reality goes and still wandering at night but was not distressed about anything last night apparently. They are trying her with melatonin to see if it will help reset her day/night cycle and will start Zopiclone tonight. Depending on how things go they may try mirtazipine at some point. The more settled they can get her, the better the range of options for care placement apparently, though I would still want to be sure that wherever she goes will be able to cope if her behaviour changes again. We will be limited in choice because Social Services will be funding.