where can I buy a calendar clock

kimhatton

Jan 28, 2011
Mansfield Nottinghamshire
Day Clocks

I rather agree with' Jenniferpa'. Day Clocks are a good idea but in some cases the sufferer from dementia will often insist that the day is wrong and the clock malfunctioning. My mother wouldn't take any objective facts on board in the last three or four years of her illness. She had always been very self-opiniated trusting her own views above any one else's so whatever we did to orientate her to 'our reality' was dismissed almost straightway. It didn't help that she kept a diary - like she had for all of her life - and met any difference of opinion with 'Look I know I'm right - it's in my diary. Needless to say the diary was a reflection of her world filtered through her dementia. My brother and sister got very annoyed and frustrated about this and fought her every inch of the way - and nobody was happy.

Kimina

Aug 10, 2010
Devon
Calendar Clocks

Hi All,

I looked at the clocks recommended by you all, but found them to be too large for my Mum's small bungalow hallway (she keeps her calendar there, so the clock needs to be next to it).

So on searching myself, I got one on eBay (from an approved seller) that seems ideal and as it's radio controlled, it will always be correct and Mum can't alter it. Search 'Precision LCD Radio Controlled Round Clock Thermometer' on eBay and see what you think, it was just under £18 including delivery. It clearly shows the time, date, month and day of the week and has an alarm.

Like someone else said here, I just keep reminding her to look at the clock when she asks me or phones me to find out the day of the week.

Like so many of you, I'm new to all this and am trying to learn quickly what to say and do... but conversations just don't come easily when you have to monitor yourself!

Thank goodness we have this forum.

Kimina.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Tom has a talking wrist watch, radio controlled that speaks the time, the day and the year, I think it was about £40. He says it is the best thing I ever bought him.

5 minutes after it has told him he forgets but it doesn't matter, he pushes the button and it repeats..

I like it because I don't have to keep telling him that it is February not June and the grass ain't growing;);)

suey

Feb 24, 2011
Herts
day clocks

Hi
I found so many of the clocks showing the days of the week to be very expensive (over £100). I eventually found one on Amazon under 'day clocks' from supplier DayClox.com for approx £20.
Hope this helps!

jhdulwich

Apr 4, 2011
Clock that displays morning/evening

Hello - I would like to get a clock for my friend which has a traditional face (ie not digital/24 hour clock) but which states whether it is morning or evening. She dozes a lot during the day and I have just realised that she occasionally doesn't know whether it is morning or evening when she wakes. I'd really like one that says 'Morning' and so on rather than am or pm, but the latter would be better than nothing. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful - I've tried searching on the internet but not found anything yet.

jhdulwich

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks

Yes - that's very helpful, and they have a cheaper one on there which has pictures for day and night which may well suit us. I shall study the option a little more then get one of these I think. Thank you.

kasay

Mar 17, 2009
Lancashire
Grayson

I got my Mum a Grayson Dementia clock and she has found it a great comfort over the years. She used to ask us the day and time all the time.

This is the clock I got for her.

http://www.graysonclocks.com/itemdetail.aspx?i=G239A&c=80

The only thing it lacked was the year which I got round by printing off and laminating the year i.e. 2011. She finds it easy to read and it is controlled by radio from Rugby. It needs correcting once a year, in the autumn when the clocks go back as it goes forward, by 11 hours, to change the time so it ends up on the wrong half of the day. This means it changes the date and day at lunchtime. Other than that it is perfect. They do other clocks too and were extremely helpful to me which I was choosing one for my mum.

justwilliam

Jan 24, 2011
I bought my mum a clock similar to the desktop one in the last post. She likes it, but she still cannot retain what day it is, so it is only useful if she happens to be staring at it, I think. Really not sure if it helped, although I like the idea that it is the only way she is going to find the date without asking someone.

acneilly

Feb 7, 2010
Glasgow
Unique calendar clock

Calendar clocks with unique DAY and NIGHT graphics available from www.clocksforalzheimers.com

They also do a drywipe weekly calendar board that fits over the clock to show daily tasks and appointments.

Hope this helps

Last edited: