Where are all the men

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
I had a bad morning this morning carer rang doorbell at 8am we were both asleep I was having a nightmare and it woke me up.
I nearly fell out of bed didn't make it to the door in time.
Telephone rang care agency wanted to know why they couldn't get in I reminded them our call time was between 9 and 9.45am
They said she might not be able to come back.
I got ready got my wife up at 9am at 10am nobody came .
My wife was in the wheelchair in pyjamas so changed her top part then with the aid of a walker stood her up to change her trousers the only problem was she didn't want to do it no amount of pleading would change her mind.
I had to lift her out of the chair without her helping so I was lifting 70kg and at the same time pulling up her trousers and then sitting her in the armchair.
I hate to think what this does to my body.
She can be very stubborn when she doesn't want to do what you ask.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello Del24

Sorry your morning did not go to plan. Unfortunately this is not all that unusual when the person we care for has care workers "helping". I care for OH (vascular dementia and several physical ailments resulting in poor mobility) .

I'm not sure why you ask, where are all the men? What's the difference? We women are experiencing difficulties too. I know that earlier in life I would not have thought that at the age of 75 I would be in such a demanding 24/7 caring role trying to keep hubby at home for as long as possible.

Best wishes Del :)

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Actually the care agency should be reported. CQC say that missed calls or calls not on time are unacceptable.

Agencies get away with blue murder in the name of profit. I should phone them and tell them that under no circumstances should they do that again - the call was unacceptably early and now you are reporting a missed call. Tell them that if it happens again you will report them to the Care Quality Commission and to Adult Care Safeguarding because they are not keeping your wife safe.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I agree with fizzie. We ditched a so called care agency when they did that. The worker was actually getting into her car when I was reporting her disappearing act an hour earlier than scheduled, but she still did not return for another two hours.
I doubt the CQC will actually respond to a complaint, they did nothing when I complained about that firm. It cannot hurt to report them anyway, just to mark their card before switching.

Having had to help with personal care myself once or twice with OH a bit more co-operative than your wife Del24, though a wheelchair is going to be so much harder anyway, I can only offer sympathy for your plight.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Yes i think the Agency will respond to the threat of a formal complaint though - as soon as a complaint is put in writing the CQC pick it uup at the next inspection. Threaten them and see if they get their act together

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I stand corrected, they are taking a bit more interest than they did a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75