Where am I?

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
Great question for a dementia forum! :D. Anyway, I'm here in America and after looking through this site, I'm wondering if I should be somewhere else..although I don't suppose UK brains are much different than US brains, ( I suppose that could be argued- but not by me.) If I am in the right place, then I would like to ask if any of you are from the States?
I have a tentative diagnosis of vascular dementia based on an MRI of my cerebrum. I still need a definite diagnosis from a neurologist but my primary care doc thinks so. The symptoms are worsening and if there is a way to slow down the progression, sooner might be better than later.

I'm glad that I found this website and I'll keep looking for people here who have been diagnosed with vascular dementia and are contributing their experiences on this forum. As I understand it, there are some differences between Alzheimer's and vascular dementia and I certainly would like as much info as I can get.. especially regarding medication. Thanks for bearing with me, and if I need to move to a different spot please let me know. Peace, LoisJean

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi there and welcome to TP!

Yes, you are in the right place. This is a UK based forum but we do have members from all over the world, including the U.S.

You are right in that there are different types of dementia, and specific drugs are only given for Alzheimer's and mixed dementia. That doesn't mean that nothing can be done. Have a look at this factsheet. There are plenty more where that came from!

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=161

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Lois, welcome to TP
You're in the right place, caring is international, we all feel the same things in the same way. Below is a link to an earlier post from someone in the US asking about US help, there are a lot of members here from the US and maybe they can give you more specific advise about what may be available to you, Jen and Amy spring to mind as US members.
That said "don't suppose UK brains are much different than US brains," well my mu/om was an American so maybe I have a "fusion brain" neither British nor American brain. Caring for someone with AZ knows no boarder, languages, race, religion or countries, we're all now on the same boat and sadly I think someone at the front is singing, my heart will go on, and on...
We're just help each other in any way we can.
K

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...has-two-(or-more)-wives&p=1219831#post1219831