when will we get some help

dondon

Nov 1, 2006
canada
My dad has alzheimers hes 58 last night he tried to overdose on his pills, We are desperate for more help but he refuses the help available.
do we have to wait until he eventually manages his attempt until the social services take notice or can we apply for help without his permission :confused:

Helena

May 24, 2006
You can ask Social services for help as can your doctor request them

However if your Dad feels his best way out of the incredible confusion he is likely to be suffering is an overdose of pills do you really think its right to stop him

I know if my Mother had been asked if she wanted her pneumonia to be treated or quietly slip away from her confused demented state she would have opted for no treatment
The shell thats left after treatment is too cruel to watch

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Obviously I do not have all the facts behind your father's case but I cannot help but comment that surely it is more his GP's problem than SS - the GP needs to know what is going on. Was he really overdozing or did he not know what he was doing!! My husband would take any pills in front of him and would not know why!!!! Not sure if this helps but do hope you find a simple solution for the present problem. Good luck Beckyjan

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Dondon

Welcome to TP. Sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time. I can understand you being really anxious about dad, but it's worth thinking like BeckyJan says, whether dad took the OD intentionally or whether he was just muddled.

There's a minefield of moral questions in there about the right to refuse care and/or end ones life. And of course that's complicated by questions of the extent to which someone with dementia can/should/is seen as able to make those decisions.

But it sounds like what you need just now is some support in dealing with it, and helping your dad as best you can. You don't say anything about whether you're living on your own with dad or whether there's other family around. I notice you're in Canada ....... and I'm afraid I've no idea what the health and social services set up is there. If you were in the Uk I'd suggest you (and other close family) go and see your dad's GP/family doctor and discuss your worries. If nothing else it may be possible to find a different (safer) way of managing your dad's medication. I don't know how this translates into what's available in Canada ..... though there is a Canadian Alzheimer's Society at http://www.alzheimer.ca/ who may be able to help with the details.

Best wishes
Áine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Dondon

You need to see your father's GP as soon as possible. If your father is depressed and suicidal you need immediate help. The GP can prescribe anti-deprssants, which often also relieve Alzheimer's symptoms, and also he can request an assessment by Social Services.

Has your father actually been diagnosed, and is he seeing a consultant? If so, your GP can also request an urgent appointment with the consultant.

You imply that he is reluctant to ask for help, but you really must get things moving as quickly as possible. Until then you will be in constant fear of another overdose.

Sorry if that sounds tough, but I am sympathetic. You're in a very difficult position, and I hope you manage to get some help.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry, my reply crossed with Aine's. And I hadn't noticed that you were in Canada. So I probably haven't helped much, but the sentiments still apply!