When will her suffering end?

ana r

Jul 29, 2013
Toledo, Spain
When will her suffering end?
Hi - this is my first post, although I posted this possibly in the wrong section and a member was kind enough to advise me to post this on this section.

I'm looking for advice and guidance having searched the internet for over 3 days and read everything I could on the subject. I look after my 92 year old mother who first had a stroke brought on by a sudden and huge increase in BP about 13 years ago. Since then she's had a number of mini strokes and has progressively declined. She was diagnosed with paranoia (which the psycho-gerontologist told me she'd been suffering from since adolescence), and later with vascular dementia. the vascular dementia was diagnosed about 3 years ago. I guess readers will know all about this condition so I'll cut to the chase. Mother is currently being treated for paranoia (lyrica and quetiapine) and has been for the last 3 years. We've had everything: sleepless nights, hallucinations and deliria, UTI's, pneumonia, agression. For the last month she's been "off" her food and drink. She finds it difficult but not impossible to swallow, has bouts of agression, and wants to walk all the time. She can only walk with our help. She is obviously very weak, totally disorientated, and repeats my name all the time. She cries for no known reason and is permanently agitated when she's not sleeping. She had a sixth mini stroke about 4 weeks ago which has left her with unintelligible speech, which now makes communication exceptionally difficult (it's incredibly frustrating not knowing if she's telling me she's in pain or what is wrong with her). She's under the care of an excellent team of doctors, but everyone tells me there's nothing much left to be done apart from keeping her as comfortable as possible. I have two carers who help me, one during the week and the other at week-ends. Apart from the obvious emotional rollercoaster, which I'm trying to manage as best as possible, (doc gave me some anti depressants a few months back) I want to fathom how long approximately mother has to live. I realise everyone at this stage is very different and no-one can estimate how much longer she will continue, but there must be indicators which presage oncoming death.

Her suffering is immense, mostly psychological, and I think naturally, I want to see her at peace. Like many posts I have read on this forum, I want mother to let go...I don't want to lose her, but I don't want her to suffer. Can someone advise what sort of life expectancy she has bearing in mind that her condition may be compounded at any time with the emergence of another UTI or stroke? I've talked to the medical team about naso-gastric feeding tube, and we're all of the opinion that this would be a too agressive procedure for her, and as her daughter, I know that she wouldn't have wanted the procedure. Help....

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
praying for a peacefull and painless end to come soon for your mother is possibly the most you can do...no one can tell you when, as you of course know..be strong you are doing all you can for her

snoggy1one

Jun 4, 2012
Manchester
It sounds like a horrendous roller coaster situation you and you mum have to endure and for that I am truly sorry. This disease is so cruel and unpredictable and at times we are all like you willing for an early end to such unbearable situations.

I don't really know how to console you or give you any answers to your questions but I hope that you find some kind of comfort from the fact that there are many of us in the same boat as you and we all get tried and tested beyond what we could ever imagine and day after day and week after week and month after month we have to find the strength to carry on and just hope there will be peaceful end to it all eventually. Poor you. Sending you a much needed HUG. xx

ana r

Jul 29, 2013
Toledo, Spain
Hug

praying for a peacefull and painless end to come soon for your mother is possibly the most you can do...no one can tell you when, as you of course know..be strong you are doing all you can for her

Yup, Meme...it's all that's left to us...pray. Many thanks. hugs back:eek:

ana r

Jul 29, 2013
Toledo, Spain
More hugs

It sounds like a horrendous roller coaster situation you and you mum have to endure and for that I am truly sorry. This disease is so cruel and unpredictable and at times we are all like you willing for an early end to such unbearable situations.

I don't really know how to console you or give you any answers to your questions but I hope that you find some kind of comfort from the fact that there are many of us in the same boat as you and we all get tried and tested beyond what we could ever imagine and day after day and week after week and month after month we have to find the strength to carry on and just hope there will be peaceful end to it all eventually. Poor you. Sending you a much needed HUG. xx

Thanks so much for your reply. It's a great help to get feedback from all of you. I feel less alone and know that there are so many others in the same situation. It IS a consolation. Big Hugs back :eek: