When will CHC start if he is 'at end of life'?

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
My dad isn't eating and now drinking very little. The matron in his NH spoke to me tonight and said 'He is at end of life. He is very poorly and it could happen very quickly or it could take time'.

He been like this since Saturday but has deteriorated over the last few days and even more today.

We had an assessment in July and he didn't qualify for CHC but the assessor said if anything changed it could be fast tracked.

Who actions this?? Should I mention it tomorrow? It almost seems too late now.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You could mention CHC to the Manager/Senior Carer....but don't hold your breath. You will have to fight for it and it might be that the re-assessment only happens posthumously.

My late Mum was assessed for chc on 20/12/2014 and declined, too many High needs and not enough Severe .Five weeks later she was in final stage and on the Liverpool pathway. She died on 20th February 2015.
What had changed in those five weeks.... fundamentally the skin had broken on her sores, and she fell out of bed several times, all the other needs had stayed the same...those things which had been classified as High and not Severe.

The whole system of care funding is evil, CHC markiing is so subjective. I appreciate that funding cannot be magicked from fresh air, but why does it have to cause such enormous distress to families during these traumatic life events?

We were fortunate that Mum was able to pay for her care due to my late sister willing her house to Mum, so that the money was there and Mum could end her life in a calm and pleasant residential home.

It's up to you to decide if this is one battle too many to fight.

Sorry to sound so miserable.

Thinking of you...love Maureen.x

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
It's worth trying. I did with my Mum when she was end of life and got 2 months fees refunded. It paid for her funeral but we gave her a wonderful send off. Thinking of you at this difficult time. Xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
If it's only eating and drinking less that has changed since the assessment, I doubt it will qualify for CHC funding I'm afraid. This happens to most people at the end of life and so does not mean extra nursing over and that which the nursing element already covers.

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
My wonderful father passed away with my husband and I by his side on my late mothers birthday of all days.

I'm so grateful I was able to say goodbye and hold his hand. I'll miss him so much and feel absolutely numb.

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
Keep trying, my beloved mum passed away 4 weeks ago after suffering with vascular dementia for 5 years. As soon as she was put on end life care it got fast tracked to fully funded. I was always told at the review meetings any significant changes to let them know. I wish you all the best at this hard time as I understand x

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
I am sorry just read your last post, sorry mine came a llittle late. My thoughts are with you at this sad time. I also fully understand about the numb feeling too. Take care xx

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
Thank you flower1.

I will contact the appeals service but I think if the only change was that he wasn't eating and drinking, we probably won't be eligible. I will talk to them though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa