When to test, when to allow visiting

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Twelve weeks since lockdown began my wife's care home has finally received testing kits for residents and staff. I have just had a conversation with the home manager about whether I feel that my wife should be tested if she is not already showing signs and symptoms of Covid-19. Given the advanced state of her dementia, her inability to sit still and her potential adverse reaction before and during the rather invasive test the answer to me seemed that testing her as a matter of routine would be difficult and ill-advised. If she or any other residents or staff show signs and symptoms of Covid-19 that would be a different matter, but the likelihood of a failed test would seem high in my wife's case. The manager agreed with me on this point.

She also raised the possibility of raising lockdown a little in order to allow for visiting. I am certain that any issues about not seeing each other for so long are felt more keenly by me than by my wife. I am happy to bear not seeing her for a while longer if it keeps everyone - especially those who are physically more frail than my wife - safe and well. We talked about a possible controlled visiting system. This would be pre-booked and make use of one of the rooms nearest to the front door. The visitor would need to wear PPE, which in itself might be strange for the person they are visiting. After each visit the room would be cleaned before the next booked appointment. Visitors would be kept out of communal areas at all times. Subject to the weather it might be possible to make use of the garden instead. PPE would not be required in that case so long as social distancing could be maintained. The plans are in place but as yet there is no date for implementation.

I was impressed with how thoroughly the manager had considered all possibilities, always with the residents' best interests in mind. She has recently taken up the position having been a carer and then deputy manager at the home for a number of years. It was she who first showed me around when I was looking at homes that might suit my wife in February last year. I was impressed then by her passion for the job and her demonstration of what person centred care means in practice. This was a big factor in helping me to choose to place my wife there. Dealing with the challenges of Covid-19 is not what any manager wants but she has certainly shown her ability to do the job. She seemed pleased when I told her this.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
They tried to test my husband as part of the testing of all residents but they couldn’t manage it due to his advanced Alzheimer’s. Communication has been poor and I’ve had to chase them (it’s council run). I’ve have four letters from the council which have basically told me nothing.