When to stop taking memantine..........

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Aricept has already been stopped. Was wondering does anyone have any ideas on the mementine. Maybe its my imagination but since his meds were cut back and he does not like taking too many at one time I started giving him his second dose of memantine at 1600 in the afternoon, I have found his mood changes afterwards and he becomes quite moody. Don't know if its just to do with the time of day or the medication. He has been on this tablet for about 3 years now. Any ideas......

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother's moods improved with memantine.

She is currently on reminyl & memantine. We are keeping her on the AD meds as long as she is physically able to take them. I saw a fast decline in a friend's mother when she was taken off aricept. My sister and I decided we did not want to chance this with our mother.

We do pay for her drugs so we do have the luxury of making the decision. However, of you feel there is no benefit, stopping the drug may be the right decision for your.

My mother has been on AD drugs for 15 years now.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello keegan2, l asked our Dr if my husband could come off of mementine, and Aricept, as he has no mental capacity, he said no, as he would deteriorate very quickly.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Apparently the mementine helps with agitation, don't know if it does anymore or not. Why the doctor stopped the aricept medication I don't know at the time I did not question it as O/H was refusing to eat any medicine so one less to give was easier. Again no one knows for sure how long the medicines work although when he originally started taking it I can honestly say I noticed the improvement. I think I am coming to terms with the fact there is not a miracle pill to stop the different stages we will encounter, maybe some will ease the symptons to make them more bearable and I have to accept there will be side effects, broad shoulders a big smile and someone to share the burden helps. For the life of me I don't know how people are coping one to one with this I feel like a cry baby moaning about little things when at least I have others to help ease things (although the ultimate caring comes down to me).......