1. Q&A: "Loneliness and isolation" - Tuesday 30 Oct, 2-3pm

Are you experiencing loneliness and isolation? Do you care for someone with dementia or have dementia yourself? We are here to answer your questions on this emotive topic. Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Anne from our Helpline team. She will be answering your questions on Tuesday 30 October from 2-3pm. Want to ask questions in advance, or don’t think you can make it? You can either post questions here or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on Tuesday 30th of October from 2-3 pm.

Pop by and post your questions now and we'll answer them on Tuesday.

When to move my Mum

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by Gardenersworld, May 18, 2018.

1. Gardenersworld

Gardenersworld New member

May 18, 2018
    my Father has just died, leaving my mum who was diagnosed early on set Alzheimer’s last year. The doctor says she could stay at home with carers but I live abroad so my brother does most of the visiting and wants her to move closer to him. Any advice about whether to move her now or later? I fear more stress could initiate a further decline to that which we have seen over the last 6 months?

2. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

Does she need to come to terms with your fathers death perhaps first? Does she understand that he has died? ( My late mother was convinced my father had gone off with another woman, despite having attended his funeral)

In the bigger picture, she probably is better nearer your brother BUT will it then cut her off from everything and everyone she know? We kept Mum at home as long as we could, but all her neighbours looked out for her, and when she did go walk abouts they would usually intercept as they had known her years

3. karaokePete

karaokePete Volunteer Host

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    N Ireland
    Hello and welcome to TP, I hope you find support here.

Moving someone with dementia is a hard thing to call for the reasons already outlined by Jessbow. Causing confusion by way of the loss of what is familiar can cause problems. I would hope that members with experience of this scenario will see your post and be able to advise how it turned out for them.
    In relation to the death of you father I offer my condolences and enclose a link to an AS Factsheet which deals with grief in general, including the issues for a person with dementia. I hope it is of use to you.
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...oads/factsheet_grief_loss_and_bereavement.pdf