When they wont see the dr...

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
I was going to post this as a reply in another thread but I did not want to hijack it so making a new one...

I am not sure how standard my experience is, but I managed to go to an appointment with Mums GP with her for an unrelated matter and Mum was showing a little signs of confusion at the appointment, and because I had been with her at the appointment, the GPs practice then allowed me to speak to her dr on the phone about the problems and such like. They said, we know you, you are involved in your Mum's care. I also put it all in writing , and I had an advocate for myself write to Mum's GP about the effect the dementia was having on me.
Because Mum refused help from anyone else but me and often said if she had to go into a care home she would kill herself, it was very difficult and took a long time to get help. She refused almost everything. She would only let the community psychiatric nurse visit because she had weighing scales with her and weighed Mum on the home visits.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mydarlingdaughter

I wouldn`t let emotional blackmail affect your judgement or your decision and whatever reason your mother has for accepting the community psychiatric nurse, at least she is being seen by someone who matters.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I think piggybacking another appointment is a good idea if , like me, you have a loved one showing symptoms of dementia who often visits the GP for other reasons. Mi was always off to see Dr M about this and that. He was very nice and and friendly so I said I’d go along too to one appointment to actually meet him. What I did was slip him a letter with my concerns and that started the whole ( slow) process rolling.
Covid has obviously made this rather more difficult.

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
Hello @Mydarlingdaughter

I wouldn`t let emotional blackmail affect your judgement or your decision and whatever reason your mother has for accepting the community psychiatric nurse, at least she is being seen by someone who matters.
Thank you, its all over now as eventually the circumstances "pushed" Mum into a care home and she did well there for a few years. She passed away last sumer. The care home gave her a few extra years and she has fun there. It was not my decision but I supported it. Its a very difficult time for all concerned.
Going to the GP with them is good and they do understand. But their concern is always the patient first and so it may come across as if they dont care about us. But their hands are tied if the patient refuses.