When they forget who you are

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
I found this informative but very upsetting because Bridget said exactly that, in front of me and with other
people” where is my husband, I can’t find him, you must help me find him “ It broke my heart to feel so abandoned and I got very angry and was devastated.

That was my experience but I do hope it helps others.
Peter

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
I found this informative but very upsetting because Bridget said exactly that, in front of me and with other people” where is my husband, I can’t find him, you must help me find him “ It broke my heart to feel so abandoned and I got very angry and was devastated.

That was my experience but I do hope it helps others.
Peter

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Sorry @Pusskins if I appeared dismissive of your video. It’s my personal experience that’s got in the way. The presenter told a very sad story which was mine 100%. Bridget made me drive to the hospital 5 times looking for “me”. We walked across the car park straight to the reception where I used to go to for tests. She remembered!

I held a card up to the receptionist to indicate Bridget has dementia and they played along with it. By the time I’d persuaded Bridget to return to the car and come home I was an emotional wreck.
She walked around the roads, looked in rooms, in sheds, at neighbours and all the time the man she lived with for 30 years was right there dying inside. It’s a bit like the person you love walking out on you for someone else, anyway that’s how I felt.

God bless you, Peter

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
Sorry @Pusskins if I appeared dismissive of your video. It’s my personal experience that’s got in the way. The presenter told a very sad story which was mine 100%. Bridget made me drive to the hospital 5 times looking for “me”. We walked across the car park straight to the reception where I used to go to for tests. She remembered!

I held a card up to the receptionist to indicate Bridget has dementia and they played along with it. By the time I’d persuaded Bridget to return to the car and come home I was an emotional wreck.
She walked around the roads, looked in rooms, in sheds, at neighbours and all the time the man she lived with for 30 years was right there dying inside. It’s a bit like the person you love walking out on you for someone else, anyway that’s how I felt.

God bless you, Peter
@Dutchman I'm sorry this upset you, but the impression I got was that they haven't actually forgotten you, just that they're looking for the 'you' of maybe 20 years ago. They're remembering the 'you' from further back. I don't think Bridget has forgotten you. She's hankering after the younger man that she married and doesn't recognise who you are now. xx

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
@Pusskins hello. I’m so glad that you’re sort of resolved about the past. I often think I am about a lot of stuff but then it turns round and bites me.

Thinking of you
Peterx

Evaline

Nov 23, 2020
Hi ,this is at the stage my husband is at, but I also find it difficult when he asks if I have any children , and I reply with their names and their children's names (none live close but do ring regularly) and he is surprised when I know so much about his life , I am very lucky in that he is very easy to live with .Take care