When hallucinations start

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
My wife has started having really bad hallucinations. She seems to be talking to (or arguing with) two or three people who are not in the room.
This may be caused by an UTI but if instead it is the progress of the dementia illness how long has she got before going into a nursing home?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't think there's much of an answer to that. My wife has hallucinations like that and I hope she never has to go to a Care Home. Indeed my wife is quite settled at the moment, even though she was talking to invisible people last night.

If this is sudden I would have her checked for an infection. If she has had a recent change of medication I would check that too.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
You are very welcome @Alex54.

Dementia is a weird syndrome at times and strange things can happen out of the blue. Just last summer my wife was taken off Memantine as it was thought that she was suffering side effects and within a few days we had 'people in the attic' 'people and animals in the bedroom' and I was being woken to be asked who I was. The supposed 'side effect' continued so she was put back on the Memantine and has been more settled again.

I'm still dealing with the supposed side effect, scratching herself until she bleeds, but am finally getting that under a bit of control. Unfortunately the GP thinks she will always have scars but at least she only did it to her face the once and it didn't leave a mark.

Do keep posting for support.

Fire Fairy

Dec 17, 2018
My wife has started having really bad hallucinations. She seems to be talking to (or arguing with) two or three people who are not in the room.
This may be caused by an UTI but if instead it is the progress of the dementia illness how long has she got before going into a nursing home?

Fire Fairy

Dec 17, 2018
It could be a urine infection, or dehydration. Has she been diagnosed with a particular Dementia yet? My father has Lewy Bodies Dementia and hallucinates a lot. He does seem to get worse if he hasn't had enough fluids, but I think that people with Dementia's that don't normally hallucinate can experience that if they get an acute infection of some kind.

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
It could be a urine infection
I am really hoping it is an UTI, the doctors have been really helpful but says they are down to the last option regarding antibiotics.
One of the issues is that she is refusing to go to the toilet so getting a urine sample is impossible. Plus with the agitation a blood test is out of the question.
I guess that if she does not respond she will have to go into hospital just so that they can confirm what is wrong.

Fire Fairy

Dec 17, 2018
I am really hoping it is an UTI, the doctors have been really helpful but says they are down to the last option regarding antibiotics.
One of the issues is that she is refusing to go to the toilet so getting a urine sample is impossible. Plus with the agitation a blood test is out of the question.

I guess that if she does not respond she will have to go into hospital just so that they can confirm what is wrong.
Is she drinking much? The traditional remedy for UTIs is to boil up barley grain (available in health stores) and drink the water, this can be very effective. There are remedies available at the chemists, also no sugar, lots of fluids and cranberry juice. You could perhaps give her some of these just in case it's a UTI. It's tricky, because although going to the hospital might be the best option, if you think that they could offer something which the GP couldn't. It could be stressful for her as I'm sure you are aware. I hope you can resolve it, best wishes.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I think it may be possible to obtain urine test strips which can be placed in an overnight pad, or to obtain a sample from a pad. I'm not sure of the mechanics of this but perhaps others here can comment?