When GP does'nt listen about UTI

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Where my wife has been MIL's main carer since Sept 2020 actually moving in with her to be there 24/7 we both have become accustomed to recognising the signs of a UTI yet still we struggle to get the GP to take any notice, there has not been a GP home visit (MIL is bed bound) since Dec 2020 even though we have had to call many times but rather than go over old ground lets stick to the most recent episode which is current!
MIL showed the usual signs that she shows with a UTI sleeping nearly all the time and not wanting to eat or drink or even have the energy to feed herself like she usually does taking small amounts from us when spoon fed. So My wife called the surgery and had to wait as usual for a call back and whilst waiting she did her own Urine test with strips she bought from the pharmacy and collection pads from online (as getting somebody out to do this is nigh impossible too) The strips showed an infection in the urinary tract which was explained to the GP when he called so a prescription for antibiotics was sent out, when it arrived it was only for 21/2 days usually MIL gets at least 7 days worth. When we called and questioned this we were told GP had requested 3 days for a normal UTI even though told MIL has serious UTI's he refused to write another prescription saying 3 days was enough. MIL gets worse to the point where she is struggling to even keep her eyes open so we contact the surgery only to be told that they are in the process of transferring info to a new GP surgery and they cannot find MIL on the system can we call 111 which we do only to have a recording saying they are extremely busy can we go online! We do no more we call the out of hours Medocc and wait for them to contact us back which they do that evening and take down all the details again and say that a longer course was required (you dont say sherlock!) and they were very surprised to hear no GP is coming out at all (I dont know why as its happening all over to many people) so today my wife calls pharmacy to be told its on order and hopefully will be with us tomorrow!
Now we havent called 999 as we dont want MIL to be admitted to hospital as our local one is horrendous (we have experienced it on many occasions) we did all MIL's Sats and all are within normal range so hopefully if we can get this antibiotic on the go she will start to get back to "her" normal self.

i just wish some GPs would not assume they always know better than somebodys 24/7 home carer...................................

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
I can empathise with you. After my Mum's long term GP retired, I also found that nobody would listen to me. After 4 hospital admissions, I eventually phoned NHS 24 and they were absolutely superb. They listened to what I had to say, prescribed a 5 day course as requested and things improved ... until the next time.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
GPs do not seem to do home visits any more. I support an elderly friend. On one occasion the GP actually called an ambulance rather than do a home visit. The paramedics were not too pleased - I made it clear to them that I had not called them - and did not want to take my friend to hospital but the GP insisted. The same GP asked me to send photographs of my friend's legs and send them to her and take a swab. A nurse practitioner at the same surgery told me that she dis not do home visits. The only people I have time for at that surgery are the receptionists and one of the elderly care nurses.

Buzzybee77

Nov 27, 2018
Sounds like my Dad's GP. Had to get a private Dr to come and see my Dad as he had stopped eating and is only drinking. Dad's NHS GP only referred him to dietician and a course of antibiotics which didn't work all done by phone. Monday had home visit by Private Dr. Dr did a full consultation and send a strong urgent letter to the GP. Today long phone consultation with GP and finally Dad referred to district nurse team, SALT, dietician and palliative care team. It shouldn't be this hard.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I know I shouldn’t but I’d now be inclined to call 111 if I was concerned and couldn’t get anyone from the surgery to visit. In my experience, paramedics generally take frail elderly people into hospital to be checked over if there are any concerns. It might not be ideal but at least an actual doctor will examine the person and arrange for tests, ultrasounds etc to be done.

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and the content was no surprise TBH it does seem to be all over that GP's are really hard to get out despite some of them protesting that its not true!
The Antibiotics arrived yesterday around 5.30pm so MIL was given them straight away and hopefully the UTI infection will be dealt with now, at least we have 10 days prescribed dose this time and one that treats multiple Bacteria infections.
MIL is eating small meals and is happily accepting liquids so another good sign.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew