When do you start the ball rolling with SS and care packages?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope you’re all not too bad today.

I need to pick your collective brains. At what point do I contact social services regarding care packages. Dads still in hospital-week 4 and will be moved to the local one soon. I read in his folder the 15th Dec, but it’s depend on a bed being available. I thought the hospital would come to me with options., am I totally wrong? The deputy charge nurse was asking today what my thoughts are regarding dad moving home or care home. I think he wants to go home. She said that he can’t stay in hospital indefinitely. I understand that. She sounded ***** and was not helpful regarding how dad is. Probably, stressed and overworked.
He’s still catheterized , hardly eating, not drinking much, hence UTI, severely constipated and leakage (sorry!! ), sundowning, spends most of the day in bed or a chair. Gets confused when tired .The nurse Didn’t seem too bothered about constipation, said because he’s not eating nothing is moving through.

Thanks again for listening. Dad’s in Scotland.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That looks familiar from my own partner's situation @garfield3 . Without going into details she is on pathway 3 which will involve a 4 to 6 week assessment in a nursing home before likely moving into a care home. I don't now if that is the same in Scotland, but may be a path worth pursuing with social services and the OTs in the hospital if possible.
Scottish members will likely give you better advice, but for what it is worth https://www.alzscot.org/living-with-dementia/getting-support/24-hour-freephone-dementia-helpline may be a good place to discuss your options.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
That looks familiar from my own partner's situation @garfield3 . Without going into details she is on pathway 3 which will involve a 4 to 6 week assessment in a nursing home before likely moving into a care home. I don't now if that is the same in Scotland, but may be a path worth pursuing with social services and the OTs in the hospital if possible.
Scottish members will likely give you better advice, but for what it is worth https://www.alzscot.org/living-with-dementia/getting-support/24-hour-freephone-dementia-helpline may be a good place to discuss your options.
Thanks ever so much for that, my heads spinning with it all today. I’ve now got an arrow pointing in a direction. ??

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I don’t have any experience of this, sorry. Just a bit stunned that they aren’t doing anything about your Dad’s constipation. I hope you get some good advice from the helpline. Best wishes x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If I remember rightly you dont live with your Dad and he now has very advanced dementia (possibly EOL?). If that is right, I cant see how he could possibly return home - even with a care package - as he would be on his own for far too many hours during the day.
Have you spoken to the hospital SW? Is the problem that you know deep down that he needs a care home, but feel too guilty about it to make that decision?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
I don’t have any experience of this, sorry. Just a bit stunned that they aren’t doing anything about your Dad’s constipation. I hope you get some good advice from the helpline. Best wishes x
Thanks for your reply. Yes, me too. I spoke to the dementia nurse and she said it's a big problem when they get severe constipation. I did ask her what prognosis was and she said she didn't have a crystal ball.!

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
If I remember rightly you dont live with your Dad and he now has very advanced dementia (possibly EOL?). If that is right, I cant see how he could possibly return home - even with a care package - as he would be on his own for far too many hours during the day.
Have you spoken to the hospital SW? Is the problem that you know deep down that he needs a care home, but feel too guilty about it to make that decision?
Thanks for your reply. When I first came over on Sunday I thought EOL. Now I'm not so sure. He seems brighter. Loves his chocolates which I took him . Yes, I'm not near him at all and think I do feel guilty since I couldn't get there for mum at the end and vowed I would be there for Dad. I'm phoning Age UK today for info. Do I go through the ward to speak to the hospital SW ?