When carer is ill ?

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
I care for my husband(84) who has had dementia for 5 years as well as bladder cancer and a heart defect. He has needed more care since he had pneumonia in December and I (83) have been getting increasingly tired. Because he can wash, dress and toilet himself I dont know if a care agency could help. Last week I got weak (possible TIA) and he has been in respite since then.
He is not really ill enough to move to a care home but I am getting very tired. He goes to day care once a week so that he can have a shower.
The GP wants him to go into care but I feel very guilty about it and want to keep going. What sort of help can anyone suggest?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband is the same age as yours but I am a bit younger than you. I know how physically tiring it is and I don't think I could still do it into my eighties. See how he copes while he is in care temporarily and if he settles then perhaps you could switch to doing your caring by visiting him and making sure he is well looked after. One comfort you would have is seeing him sorted so that if anything did happen to you then you know he is in good hands.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
You must not turn down this offer without thinking deeply of your ability to be a carer and a patient at the same time.As much as we love and feel quilty about our other half we have to be realistic,.
Not an easy decision to make but in your head you know what you must consider to be the right thing .
My hubby has been to day care for the first time ever today .I was distraught he came home happy ,unbelievable, did not expect that ,.I think we can think too much ,good luck with your decision.
By the way my hubby is only 70 and was definitely the youngest there.xx

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Goodness me Ringtor you have done brilliantly to do what you have so far and you do need to think of yourself a bit too. I am 57, husband is 74 and cooperative, not incontinent and I find it hard to manage! I would think carers would come in and help but if your husband settles consider that this may be for the best. Oh so easy for me to say when I can't bring myself to do respite - the thought of leaving him somewhere makes me feel so guilty but I am sure your husband would want you to take care of yourself.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
I don't think I could care for someone when I am 83, I am 58 and struggling looking after OH who is 83. I have been ill this week with a flu like cold and found it much harder. It was my weeks holiday from my part time job aswell. OH said he was very disappointed in me for being ill as he wanted to go out a lot!! Thanks for the sympathy I told him and a few other things aswell!

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I care for my husband(84) who has had dementia for 5 years as well as bladder cancer and a heart defect. He has needed more care since he had pneumonia in December and I (83) have been getting increasingly tired. Because he can wash, dress and toilet himself I dont know if a care agency could help. Last week I got weak (possible TIA) and he has been in respite since then.
He is not really ill enough to move to a care home but I am getting very tired. He goes to day care once a week so that he can have a shower.
The GP wants him to go into care but I feel very guilty about it and want to keep going. What sort of help can anyone suggest?

Why don't you increase the day care? My mother goes 3 times a week. She really enjoys it and I like the days off. I've spaced the days so that they're spread throughout the week. But she could go 6 days a week if I wanted. The daycare centre collects and returns her too which is great.

Also I have small ways to cut corners. I sometimes use nice ready meals instead of cooking or I cook large amounts, portion them and freeze them. I run the washing machine with disinfectant added in large amounts to keep things clean but avoid soaking etc.,

You could get a cleaner/gardener etc if that's affordable? You could organise regular respite and have short breaks away to do things that interest you.

If none of this is affordable and you are not self-funding then please make sure you get a Carer's Assessment to see if you can get breaks.

Also, domiciliary carers don't just do personal care. They can take people out, help them with activities or shop etc., However, it may be cheaper/easier to hire a sitter than an agency carer if no personal care is involved.

But maybe at least explore what's available in your area in terms of care homes, put his name on the waiting list and keep it as a plan B.

Most of all, please let yourself off the hook, don't feel guilty about a care home you've done really well and you definitely deserve a break.

ringtor

Nov 5, 2008
Devon
When carer is ill

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am very tired just doing nothing. Tony was very happy when I took him out on Friday, I think he is stimulated by having more people to relate to and he said the food was lovely. I think he will live there when there is a place for him, lets hope it is not too lo g a wait.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan