When care is good and no one says thank you.

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
I went to see my mum as usual today and had the normal chat with the carer who opens the security door.
I see mum usually two/three times a week and am aware she is getting progressively worse but now she is settled it occurred to me that she is now closer to the carers than me and although that is great as she is happy and trusts the girls, she is growing further away.
Its sad for me but I have to admit to being a bit relieved knowing that this year the holiday won't be fraught and I leave her in good hands.
But how often do I say thank you yes I know its a paid job but would I want to do it. NO. So today I made it clear just how much I think they do which is not just caring or feeding and washing etc but in chatting, amusing, playing and making sure that friends are made and it is the home of the cared for, not a holding place whilst waiting for God.
How many of us have positive experience of care homes which is never shouted about, its always seems like bad experiences get the publicity not good.
Today a bit of cake and tea for everyone, a good day despite the fact mum did not recognise my son who got engaged. It hurt a bit but as her mind takes her beyond me at least I'm sure that she is surrounded by loving carers.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bil's care s provided at home by two wonderful Carers. I need okay a vey big thank you to them!! Thanks for reminding me.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Mum has just moved into a care home last Friday. I made a point of looking at the rota for the week before and phoning to catch Mums regular carers on their last visits and thanking them for the kindness they had shown to Mum and the support they had given me.

The management of the agency has mostly been cr*p in terms of organisation but the majority of the carers have been very kind and done all they can for Mum. Problem I then had was several of them started crying and are upset that Mum has moved but what is nice is they have asked if, when she is settled, they can go to visit. Given the CH is over 20 miles away I was very surprised but told them they were very welcome and if there was any issue when they arrived to just ask the staff to give me a call and I would verify who they were.

It certainly can be a difficult and sometimes thankless task but as someone kindly said in reply on my thread - they don't have the same emotional involvement and they are not there 24/7 - neither of which lessens what they do but helps you to understand how they can.

Please and thank you when said with sincerity always make the world go round and I am sure they appreciated your comments.

Take care

Celia
x

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
My mums NH is fab all but 1 carer who doesn't seem to appear to know what she is there for. The rest are brill. I make a point of chatting to people when I'm there carers, residents and their families (only the ones in the entrance sitting room when you walk in). I think if a home has a nice atmosphere as well as nice, good staff then the battle for finding good care is done.

I was surprised however that mums home for whatever reason hadn't been forthcoming with information to one gent. He was explaining that he has a house in Surrey but his wife is on mums NH as its much cheaper than where he lives. My geography is useless so if he were to travel everyday it would be Surrey-Warwickshire and back again, even I can work out that's a fair amount if mile. He was struggling as he is staying at his daughters up here in Nuneaton and his other daughter is living in his Surrey house with his grandchild. Basically none of them knew which was to turn for advice re house, money running out etc etc. 1st thing I said was contact the local Alzheimer's society branch, get some advice from them or his wife's social worker. SW poses a problem as she now needs one here when she had one in Surrey and they were struggling to get that sorted too.

Now it may be that he hasn't asked anyone in the home for information or advice, he may have been too scared? If they got wind his money was running out they would throw his wife out kind of thing. I ask questions constantly but then I'm probably 40yrs younger and maybe a bit more confident too.

That's probably the only thing I could grumble about, if, he had asked. Which if he had I'm fairly sure they'd have helped him out.

Sorry tangent there,

Sharon