when can we get new US breakthrough dementia medicine biogen's aduhelm in UK??

human4

Jun 15, 2021
new breakthrough alzheimer's drug which was approved last monday in US ??biogen's aduhelm??when can we get in UK? Apparently it is the first ever medicine which can cure ie halt MCI?

human4

Jun 15, 2021
thanks Izzy i think i read this article. i am just feeling a bit desperate that there should not be any delays. i feel UK should approve straightaway on basis of FDA approval - i read in above articale that UK may take another 2 years to approve. this looks depressing because some patients who r in early stage now - which this new medicine targets - may proceed to later stages by the time medicine here gets approved.

human4

Jun 15, 2021
thanks nitram, this is v useful. long time to wait. may be too late for some patients.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My understanding is that the approval in the USA for this drug is conditional as there have been failed trials prior to this latest release.

My reading is that the drug targets plaques successfully but hasn't yet proved that it changes the Alzheimer's or repairs the damage that already exists.

Anything is worth a try but I have been hearing about cures for AD for decades so I now don't hold my breath anymore.

Don't you just hate it when you hear thatbthere is a new drug that is going to cure some serious condition, then they tell you that it won't be available for another five or ten years?

human4

Jun 15, 2021
yes... i will be v happy if this new US drug can clean up the plaque so no more damage. that will be blessing for me and my family. time is running out. so sad.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The trials were stopped because the drug was not shown to have any beneficial effect. Then the drug company decided to 're-assess' the data and managed to come up with enough 'evidence' to convince the FDA though this drug is very controversial and many experts disagree with the new, so-called results.

You should also know that it is very expensive and that only people on the highest dose showed any difference at all. (Patients need a fortnightly transfusion.) Added to that the drug has major side effects: 40% of the people on this high dose suffered brain swelling!!!

In short, it needs a lot more research and the FDA really shouldn't have approved it. But there's a lot of money to be made for any company that can produce an effective dementia drug....

human4

Jun 15, 2021
i agree with u JadednFaded... it is v expensive and none can guarantee results. rather, swelling is big concern in some patients...

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020

Attachments

• FDA's green light, science's red light%0A%0AJoel S. Perlmutter%0A%0A See all authors and affil...pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 286

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@Lone Wolf interesting article. I was slightly surprised that the FDA went ahead, even though 10 out of 11 of the committee said no and the last said uncertain.

To me, it says that it is more public pressure that convinced the FDA.

I fully understand the wish that we can have a new drug for AD but since the results were not that favourable, taking more time is required.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I was watching the American news program PBS a few days ago and the 'expert' guest they had on said that it should never have been approved. Side effects can include dementia like symptoms so according to him, that is a good reason not to use it.

We have been hearing about this drug for years. Why now?

PhilIplawrence

Mar 27, 2021
I am also curious - we moved to Snowdonia to care for my Father in Law and his Alzheimer’s in May and my understanding is he has to take another memory test to assess in order to escalate this, still able to walk our Dog on the beach, play golf a little but not drive obviously (my job). He despises his appointed nurse due to his diagnosis which he refuses to accept but I thought if I took a memory test, expressing similar concerns he may do it as well ? My Mother had a huge brain tumour which affected me in my adolescence and I had two years of therapy which seems to give us enough common ground to communicate from in combination with Golf, Dogs, The Beach, Mountains and Fresh Air ! 150 miles on my bike and 2 rounds of Golf maintain my equilibrium currently have flu so brain is more active . Hence my input, any thoughts, experience welcomed for consideration ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart