Wheelchair

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Its come to the stage where mums walking is so bad its taking with assistance from me 30 minutes to get to the toilet. Anyone know how to get a wheelchair and where from?

Reallife

Jun 12, 2015
Lancashire
We got a wheelchair from the NHS. We had to get a referral from the GP. Dad is not in it permanently but we use it when we go out. So it's used most days, weather permitting.

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
My mother in law had an nhs made to measure wheelchair . They made it so the handle height was right for the principal pusher. I'd go for big rear wheels if you're going outside with it; they are much, much easier to push especially getting up and down kerbs if there's no drop down.

Moorcroft

Nov 4, 2015
I think you ask the GP to arrange an occupational therapy assessment. They'll assess and provide a wheelchair, but also any other aids you might need.

Dave66

Sep 13, 2014
Hi banger696

We couldn't get Mam a "free" wheelchair in our area, we were advised to contact the Red Cross!!

Fortunately, Mam gets AA, so we purchased one for her from Eden Mobility, VAT free as well! :D

Remember that any aids you have to buy, wheelchair, Comode etc are VAT free.

Definitely go for a wheelchair with big rear wheels if you are using it outdoors, it makes life easier for the pusher and more comfortable for the sitter.

Flossie2

Aug 18, 2016
There is a guy in lurgan who provides free wheelchairs. Not sure how you can contact me directly for contact information as i dont want to publish his details for all to see. just joined the group do not sure how it works

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
I have to admit to buying a 2nd hand one from Preloved - it was just to see whether my mother would take to it; that was 3 years ago and it's been brilliant. It was quite local and very cheap and does the job and my mother says it is v comfortable. Yes it has large rear wheels (which as has been said are essential for comfort and ease and use outside), comfy seat and back-res; it also folds so it can go in the boot of my car (just). But all the other ideas are good. Sue

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I specifically didn't want one John could operate himself as he is a wanderer. However the guy who delivered it said that it is easier to push that type because of the bigger wheels. I find the one we have now hard going and rely on daughter or son in law if we take it out

The cashier in Tesco yesterday told me they have wheelchairs for customers both electric and the push type. I had never noticed that and will use them next time I go shopping.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
We have one on loan from the Independent Living Centre for 6 weeks for Mom whilst the GP referral goes through. May be worth a try if there is one near you

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
(Some possibly useless information...)
My wheel-chair which I've had for several years is borrowed from the lovely Red Cross here in Hants UK. I only use it indoors and in fact I find it easier to "scoot" it about so I've taken off the footplates and the armrests.
I use crutches outdoors - the wheelchair is really for the kitchen where I need both hands for cooking etc, and I'd be nervous about crutches slipping on the tiles if there was any water on the floor.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think maybe if you are able to go through the GP and an OT is involved you may stand more chance of getting a suitable wheelchair and not just a bog-standard one.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
I have requested a care assessment from the local council online so see what comes of that they promise 48 hr contact time.

We have a place called the Star Centre so might be able to get a wheelchair from them we already have a high chair on long term loan from them.

Also carer is trying to arrange a commode, but dont think they have any with wheels on in stock.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Banger, good luck with getting the equipment you need.

I just wanted to suggest you might get a lesson or demonstration in how to safely transfer in and out of the wheelchair, push up and down ramps and stairs and over curbs, et cetera, so everyone is kept safe.