Wheelchair which is easier to push?

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Mum now needs a wheelchair to go any distance as her knees won't support her for more than a minute or two. I've been pushing her around town in a basic one which she bought for her husband years ago but I'm beginning to think it's not ideal. The other day I took her out for half and hour and strained my arm pushing up and down steep slopes. Today I took her Christmas shopping. She's very heavy and with a rucksack full of shopping slung on the back of the chair as well, and more on her lap, the arm is now worse and I have pains shooting down it as I type. She has a mobility scooter but can't really remember how it works so I wouldn't risk taking her into shops with it. I'm no weakling and have pushed my mother-in-law around for years with no problems but think I need something else for Mum. Any suggestions welcome.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I use a very basic wheelchair for my partner as he has Parkinson's he's not suffering from dementia ( that's my dad) but does have some mobility but can be unsteady and prone to falls. The trips to town that we make are usually pretty short ones but I understand issues with slopes as usually take a run up slope in car park. We haven't been into our local Town more than once this year due to Covid and partner can use his mobility scooter from home when we go out with dog. I know the smaller the wheels the harder to push so just wondering if your town has a mobility place that you could hire a bigger wheeled wheelchair once there as I know we do have one in our main shopping mall and hire is very reasonable.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I help a friend who has MS and bigger front wheels, she used to have one with small front wheels, definitely helps.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It may not be possible due to the Covid situation but I wondered if your mum could be assessed for a wheelchair. Both my mum and my husband were assessed by our local NHS orthopaedic and rehabilitation technology services. They were measured and given wheelchairs which fitted them properly. My mum was the first to get one, my husband didn’t need one until after she died. I found the one she had been given was too heavy for me to lift into the boot of the car when it was folded and they agreed to exchange it for a lighter model. It was the Occupational Therapy department who referred them to this service.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
i found that a self propel 'big wheel' wheelchair was best- my dad- no dementia, had mobility problem due to his heart. His centre of gravity was lower which made it easier, and i was happier knowing that for kerbs etc he was less likely to tip back. Do you have a shop mobility scheme? Red cross? Hire and see if you cant get an immediate assesment.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Look at electric wheel chairs, that the companion operates, from behind.
Designed for exactly this problem.
Some are just motors that attach to a standard chair, others are all singing and dancing.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum needed a wheelchair I hired one from Red Cross prior to buying.
The one she had was a lightweight folding one with larger wheels at the back and fitted in the boot of the car. Because it was lightweight it wasnt too heavy to push, but also, mum was not a heavyweight.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
As @Izzy suggested I would talk to the wheelchair clinic.
Googling, wheelchair, clinic, nhs, and the name of my local area got me some contact details for the correct one.
If not the Gp practice can make a referral.
I remember that years ago a client was not elegible for a free chair so they arranged for us to go to a huge barn like place where they have experts to match you up with just the right chair for you.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Wow! Thank you so much for these replies. I didn't know any of this! I'll definitely look around, borrow or hire if possible, and see if I can get any help from OT. Lots of options.

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
As @Izzy suggested I would talk to the wheelchair clinic.
Googling, wheelchair, clinic, nhs, and the name of my local area got me some contact details for the correct one.
If not the Gp practice can make a referral.
I remember that years ago a client was not elegible for a free chair so they arranged for us to go to a huge barn like place where they have experts to match you up with just the right chair for you.
There IS a wheelchair NHS service for her area. Fantastic!

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
Well, the GP sent a referral to the wheelchair and seating service and I heard back from them today. They were just going to supply a basic wheelchair which is no help as she already has one. Anything else would have to be paid for privately unless she has been assessed as needing a powered wheelchair.

There's been no discussion of her needs, and the weight the GP put on the form was Mum's weight from thirteen years ago. She's certainly put on a few stones since then!

The technician was very helpful and said that for anything else she would need to be referred to a clinician, which he has agreed to do.

I wish they could try pushing her up and down the street opposite. It would be obvious what was needed. My arm is still in pain from pushing her several weeks ago. It's a safety issue as much as anything as it's difficult to pull the wheelchair off the road onto the pavement and alarming trying to hang onto the chair going downhill, even gripping the brakes. Still, at least something is happening and they can give advice even if we have to buy something suitable.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Look at electric wheel chairs, that the companion operates, from behind.
Designed for exactly this problem.
Some are just motors that attach to a standard chair, others are all singing and dancing.

Bod
This is such good advice!

Also have you looked on eBay ? Second hand chairs can be very cheap!

Milvus

Sep 5, 2019
This is such good advice!

Also have you looked on eBay ? Second hand chairs can be very cheap!
Could do but it would be good to get some advice first about what would be most suitable. Also her weight would probably be a factor but we have no way of finding out how much Mum weighs.