Wheelchair advice

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
The time has come where I need to consider getting a wheelchair for my mum - it means we could get out and about more, and I could have a bit more exercise by walking and pushing her at the same time! She's not a 'small' lady (she's about 11 and a half stone currently), so a major concern is my ability to push her, especially up any inclines.

Where do I start with wheelchairs? Can they be borrowed from somewhere to try, before I spend hundreds (thousands?) of pounds. Are there any that are 'motorised' to help you up hills (a bit like golf trolleys!)?

Many thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This is a very current topic with me as I am increasingly using a wheelchair with my husband for anything other than short distances. When NHS delivered the chair the man told me I should have asked for the type with large front wheels as they are easier to push. I think he's right as I'm finding this hard work and avoid any kind of hill. John is nine and a half stones.

There was no charge for the chair. Phone your local OT office.

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
wheelchair

The time has come where I need to consider getting a wheelchair for my mum - it means we could get out and about more, and I could have a bit more exercise by walking and pushing her at the same time! She's not a 'small' lady (she's about 11 and a half stone currently), so a major concern is my ability to push her, especially up any inclines.

Where do I start with wheelchairs? Can they be borrowed from somewhere to try, before I spend hundreds (thousands?) of pounds. Are there any that are 'motorised' to help you up hills (a bit like golf trolleys!)?

Many thanks.

Hi.you can get a motor that fits on a normal wheelchair and the person pushing controls it.i had one for my wife.very useful on Hills etc.there not cheap about 450 pounds.good luck take care

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
You can hire wheelchairs from local Red Cross branch
Don't know what sort of range they have,but sil hired a basic one for her mil when she had hip op.
Thinks she paid £20 a week?
Ros

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
We started off using the courtesy wheelchairs in supermarkets etc. My criteria was heavily influenced by the fact that I drive a citreon c1 and needed a chair that would fit in the boot. So for me compact, lightweight, security strap and attendant brakes were needed. I got one for £79 and it has been ideal for us. My Mum can still walk a bit so it was just something to get us out further we needed. I'd say try her in the courtesy ones first. I learned a lot from that and it stopped me from making expensive mistakes.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
At our local red cross (and I think nationally) you don't pay for loan, though they do appreciate a donation. The loan period is usually up to 3 months so this gives you a chance to see how much you use it and whether it is suitable for you.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad has got to the stage where he can't walk very far so we are very limited as to where we can go. He can just about manage a trip round the garden centre, at a pinch, and I have the option there of borrowing one of their wheelchairs should I need to (not had to do it yet).

I drive a 16 year old Corsa with a very small boot. Some baby pushchairs don't even fit in!
Ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I borrowed a wheelchair from Red Cross to see how I would get on and eventually bought a folding wheelchair with removable back wheels that could fit in the boot of my Focus lying down. If I went with mums friend, her car had a smaller boot and she used to remove the parcel shelf and put the folded wheelchair upright in the boot, secured in place with "bungee" straps.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You could also see if you could get some tips/training (it is/should be part of any manual handling/patient moving course) on pushing someone in a wheelchair in a way that best protects you from strain. In a nutshell, elbows in, keep close to the wheelchair, and keep your back straight!

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Rascal WEGO

Many thanks.

Hi - I bought a Rascal WEGO wheelchair for my Mum. They are not cheap, but they are 'carer operated'. My Mum would not be safe steering herself!

It will be easier to Google it than explain, but essentially it is a conventional electric wheelchair with a column behind. The column has a simple operating device for steering, braking etc. It charges quickly and easily with a normal plug, and the range is about 5 miles. The whole unit can also be easily broken down and put in an average sized car boot for transportation - although I would warn that the battery component is quite heavy to lift. I believe that you can get a user operating system for it - but as I said, that would not be for us as Mum would be knocking people down like skittles!

Even with a severely damaged knee I was able to operate this, and now having had a total knee replacement it is so easy to use.

PS - Even Mum was able to work it (not in a straight line - but hey!) She was worried that it would be too heavy for me to push and so I proved to her that it was light and easy.

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
We also bought a Rascal we go for my dad but it is very small for a tall man. The seat isn't deep and isn't adjustable so he looks very perched on it. Easy to operate but better on smooth ground. Has small wheels so he feels all bumps. He also has an manual chair for indoors and an outdoor manual one with brakes that one of his carers prefers. You can retro fit a motor on a manual chair but not if they are provided by NHS. His first NHS chair was supplied at a clinic where they tested it for fit and also ensured it went in my car boot (with back shelf removed). We are still looking for the ideal solution so any info gratefully received! ps Rascal chair was nearly £900!!!

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015

Many thanks.

Hey Marnie
Not an expert but yes you can rent however after about 3 weeks you could have paid for one. My colleague at work, his girlfriend was a staff nurse, then head of continuing care and now heads up a nursing team.
She recommended a company called care co. They are a discount supplier of all things care related. Chairs from £50, quite snazzy ones around £80. They do motorised too
The OT had to measure dad for one legs back etc. They put me off saying a 9 month wait so buy one. I said ok I will wait. Got a call 3 days later to deliver it. The medi firm said we always have them in stock
So push push !!

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Lots of very good advice - thank you all very much.

I have put an on line enquiry in to the local Red Cross place, which is very near us. I'll see where that takes me. I also remembered that there was a very helpful guy at the mobility shop where I bought mum's rollator a few years ago, so will go back there soon and get some advice from him. I'll also phone Social Services to see what's available through that channel (I don't think you can go straight to OT here pretty sure you have to be 'referred' through by SS).

There seem to be so many types, it's mind boggling!

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
My dad has got to the stage where he can't walk very far so we are very limited as to where we can go. He can just about manage a trip round the garden centre, at a pinch, and I have the option there of borrowing one of their wheelchairs should I need to (not had to do it yet).

I drive a 16 year old Corsa with a very small boot. Some baby pushchairs don't even fit in!
Ideas anyone?

Does your car have rear seats that fold down, and if so would that give you extra room needed to take a wheelchair? Could your Dad manage to get in and out of the front passenger seat OK?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi Cobden

Yes the rear seats do fold down so as long as I don't have extra passengers that would be a solution. Also the parcel shelf can be removed and the back seat moved forward so if the chair folds fairly flat it might just squeeze in.

He can still get in and out of the car.

I asked dad yesterday how he'd feel about getting a chair so we could go further and he now claims he can walk "quite a way - just very(very) slowly" (about 1/4 mile at a pinch!!). And he won't consider a rollator either. Grrrr!!

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
Rollators and the like are ok if the walking isnt too bad. My dad needed more help so leant too heavily on it and it hurt his wrists. Now he has deteriorated much further and can hardly transfer never mind walk. However, just today the local NHS wheelchair services, who assessed him yet again a couple of weeks ago, say he can have an electric wheelchair. Hurrah. There is a few months waiting list though. So I would suggest call your nearest district hospital and ask to be put through to wheelchair services. They will probably get you into clinic to assess your mum and see what (if anything) they would supply

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
May not help you with your problem but,years ago I had a friend whose grandfather ,aged 95, use to get his bike out every morning to fetch his newspaper , he couldn't ride it but used it to support himself
He refused to use a walking stick' wheelchair or 'rollater and used to tell people his bicycle had a puncture
jimbo