Wheelchair advice please...

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I wonder if any of you kind TP'ers can help with some advice on wheelchairs...

My mother has come to the point where it is a real struggle to walk (with frame) from the sitting room to the loo and bedroom.

She expends most of her energy just trying to get up out of her chair, although I have bought, at vast expense, a riser/recliner armchair, and then has very little energy left for her very slow walking down the corridor.

She also has been developing a real fear of going to the loo, it is a small room and needs navigation round the legs of the raised seat and she is becoming less and less mobile and won't concentrate on instructions.

So, I feel the need of a wheelchair but realise this will also mean lots of getting up and down out of it. Added to this she has a severe curvature of the spine, so it is all extra difficult.

Can anyone recommend what type I should try and find, whether it is possible to get 2nd hand ones, and possibly do they come with commode type of seats? Just don't know what I need really. I have hired from Red Cross a couple of times but they are so old and ropey and heavy and I reckon a more modern sort would be better.

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I mentioned to our GP about Allen needing one it and he put us in touch with the local NHS wheelchair services my husband had one made specially to fit and it is on loan to him for as long as he needs it . they come out and service it every so often,this was all free,

Jeany x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
If the toilet area is small then having a wheelchair and trying to get off it onto the toilet is fraught with danger too.

I think you need an assessment from an OT to see what they can come up with.

Would she use a commode in the room where she sits/sleeps? Some of them can look like ordinary chairs.

Jeannette

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Thank you both so much for your replies. I have put in a call to the local OTs and hope they get back to me soon.

I am a bit out in the sticks and although I could get to a big town I would be pushed to do it in the couple of hours I get while the lunchtime carer is here, so anything I can get from the professionals is a help.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I had a broadly similar problem with Mum having, at the end, almost zero mobility. For indoors (upstairs) we had a wheeled commode. It served several functions, could be used just for wheeling about or could be wheeled to the toilet (so the bowl wasn't used) or could be used as a commode. Do speak to your OT who should provide this.