Wheee! Highlight of the day

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Gemini, he is absolutely gorgeous, enjoy him! We lost our last dog to cancer over a year ago, Mum was still with us and despite her dementia she still mourned kaya as much as we did. A dog is so, I don't know, real or something I suppose. It doesn't matter what is going on, they are constant some how, do you know what I am trying to say or am I rambling too much? I think it will help you a lot to have this lovely little bod to cuddle and care for, he will give you so much in return, love She. XX

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
Thanks Sheila... Crickey......that was a quick response... Thanks ever so much.... I did feel that perhaps it was not appropriate to post something of this nature....but whey hey.... it is my 'highlight' of not only today, but hopefully for many more to come.... there is a very sad story to tell as to how my mum in law reacted when my last dog died..... i'm sure you understand.... It made the whole issue of getting another dog more difficult.....

I'm so glad that we did get Jasper.... It has some how taken the focus off of my 'problems'... It may sound selfish.... but it is so nice to have a focus other than mum in law......

Regards
Gemini

Last edited:

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
PS.... no you're not rambling.... I know exactly what you mean....

I think ...honestly..... that if I had not lost my dog at the time that i did..... i would not of felt so confused by later events..... I would clear my head of any problems by taking a brisk walk over the fields.... 50% of the time I would of worked out a solution.... but 100% of the time i would feel better!!!

Love
Gemini

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Gemini, I feel just the same, our maximum totals were eight cats and three dogs all at once so you can see we are animal orientated! We are now down to six geriatric cats, one who is on steroids twice a day and has a fit every so often, but in between times he enjoys life so we keep going. He is 19 now. The next is 18 and the other four are about 16 so it's a constant round of "I won't eat this or that " with them all! Pets are a wonderful distraction from the problems we are facing with Alz/dementia and can also help the sufferer by giving a cuddle or response to them in some way. Please keep us posted on progress! Love She. XX

gemini

Sep 8, 2003
Nottingham
My problem is .... all the other dogs we've ever had, have had to compete with my time verses children..... now that does not apply... so little jasper has a life of fun and games 24/7 .... He's already decided that he will sleep very quietly in our bedroom.... but will squeal the house down in any other room..... then at 6.30am.... it's 'Big Bed time'.... He won't go to sleep again unless it's in our bed!!!!! Bless !!!!

My living room looks like a creche with all the toys etc..... but please do not be fooled...... Cute little jasper is a fiesty little fellow...... He's already had a nip at our friends 8 month old German Shepherd...... Lots of fun and games to come I think.....

I can't wait!!!!

Love
Gemini

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh, he is so cute!! I'm allergic to animals (especially children!) but I love dogs - I'm sure he keeps your mind well occupied!

Izzy

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Gemini, yes, we share our bed with a mottley crew too. This morning, one of the younger (!) cats decided to pull my sewing stuff apart before I got up, then he pulled the blanket off the pouffe and when I found him he was happily laying on the blanket chewing pieces of material! They are definately a distraction. I am so pleased your little Jasper is bringing you such joy. Love She. XX

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Sleep

Dear all
An amazing thing happened to me last night; I slept seven and a half hours!! I can’t remember when I last got a good nights sleep, even when my husband goes in to respite I wake up a few times each night wondering where he is.
Anne

Doreen

Dec 3, 2004
Oldham
Dear Gemini.

Your puppy is lovely. We went many years without a dog, mainly because we were never in. When my husband was diagnosed with AD he just went into himself and I was at my wits end to keep his interest in life. Then I took a chance and bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy, you would not believe what a difference this little bundle of joy did for our household, he is now 18 months old and he has given my husband a new lease of life, he may have difficulty in many aspects of his daily routine but Charlie fetches many a smile to his face, and as for me I talk to him like he is human. What makes me laugh (though it is not really funny) but my husband may forget who I am but always knows Charlie. I know in some ways Charlie is hard work on top of everything else but he is theraputic to us both so I know just how you feel. Our CPN said it was one of my better decisions.
Carry on enjoying Jasper.

Best Wishes Doreen

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Just had a wonderful comment from my granddaughter yesterday. It was the first day of the school holidays and as usual David and I had the grandchildren while our daughter was at work. David was trying explain to them that he couldn't help repeating his jokes because his memories were going. While he was having his usual nap, they asked me what was wrong with grandad nd I said that his memory cells in his brain were dying off so it would help if they could be patient when he told the same joke yet again and some of them really are worse than those in the crackers!!!! The wonderful reply that my grand daughter came out with was "well he wouldn't be my grandad if he didn't tell jokes."
They then proceeded to play hide and seek when he woke up and I think David enjoyed it as much as the children. Not bad having three children 7.9 and 61!
That has made my Christmas.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
What a lovely scene you 'paint', Susie!
I am always amazed at how accepting and tolerant the little'uns are. Here's to more smiles over the Christmas holidays.
Love, Carmen

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, yes, AD doesn't seem to count in the eyes of children does it. Some of my last but most wonderful memories are of my Mum and my little 7 year old neice, painting pictures together on the patio table and chattering non stop while they did. Love She. XX

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
something simple

I went to visit gran today and she was asleep when i arrived i woke her up and she asked who was their i asked her who she thought was their and she said my name, that has really made my day as for the last few weeks she has not know who i was, Little things like this remind us that out loved ones are still in their somewhere.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Nikita

how lovely for you! This is the time we realise that what may seem a tiny thing to other people [and that was taken for granted by us in the past] is in reality tremendously important.

It is nice to be able to experience and treasure these moments.

Best wishes

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Best laugh for weeks

The Grand daughters bought me a video "Garfield "for Christmas.
It's a good laugh for all those that could use one.
all the best
Norman

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
highlight

when visiting gran today she introduced me to one of her fellow residents using my name and saying shes my grandaughter, later a van was delivering at a house across the road gran (who pretends she can hardly see) said look john lewis i wonder what they are getting. it was lovely to see that gran is still in theriir somewhere even though we dont always see her.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Counting on it

Well, well.

Jan can rarely say anything that is recognisable - this has been the case for a couple of years now.

Today, I was crawling with her on the padded floor as usual when I heard her muttering.

I went closer, and heard "one...... two....... three...... four........ five......" I automatically added "six" and Jan turned towards me and she said "marvellous", and smiled a radiant smile.

Does it for me, I tell you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet